1. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Stuck without an appropriate Title.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by dannyboy, Mar 3, 2014.

Hi All,

Its mind boggling to freeze on a title for my Novel. My Novel revolves around few friends taking on a pilgrimage to a shrine to find solace to all problems they face in life. They started it whole heartedly and now they been doing this for almost 10 years together. It just happens for them every year with or with out obstacles. Now I'm wondering if I can use the word "Habitue" in the title. How can I use this word effectively. Is it correct to say Habitue Pilgrims or how can this word be used. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

Daniel

mg357 likes this.
  2. Nadine

Nadine New Member

I think you can use Habitue Pilgrims, I don't see a problem with that. What about just calling it Habitue or Habitues? Then you are giving away a little less about what the story is about and could create more of a mystic around your story?

dannyboy and mg357 like this.
  3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you are using 'habitue' to mean 'a frequent visitor' first of all, it is a french word and must have the accent aigu over the 'e' or it makes no sense as a word...

secondly, 'habitué' pilgrims' won't make any sense, since the word is a noun, not an adjective... the adjective form would be 'habitual'... people who go to the shrine often, or who live there, would be 'habitués' of the shrine...

and titling the book 'habitué' or 'habitués' alone is too vague to work well, imo...

why do you want to use that word?... is it one you just learned and think it's so neat you want to use it?... or do you have any logical/practical reason for wanting to?

mg357 likes this.
  4. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I think "The Pilgrimmage" sounds quite good.

I second mamammia, moreover, you cannot mix languages, and "The customary Pilgrims" makes no sense.

mg357 likes this.
  5. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Thank you so much for your reply... I'm wondering if the title Habitue Pilgrims would be grammatically correct. Is it syntactically correct??? Please give me an explanation if possible.

6. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Oh yes as you guessed it right it's a word that I learnt recently an am quite excited to use it to ma
    Oh yes you guessed it right, I just learnt this word recently, of course I knew its a french word and I thought it would great to use it as a title because the pilgrims who are friends visit a shrine every year and they have done it for 10 yrs. I'm just confused now to freeze on a title... The Pilgrimmage is a title already used by Paul Cohen... So I can't use it... I want the word Pilgrim on my title but not sure how to insert any adjectives or phrases... Please give some suggestions...

7. Monte Thompson

Monte Thompson Member

Habitue is an awkward word to me as I'm not French speaking. I suggest a title that is accessible to as many people as possible.
    One idea is to highlight the friendship as well as the nature of their journey together. Here are a couple of ideas:
    The solace junkies
    Pilgrims of the tenth year

8. mammamaia

btw, 'the pilgrimage' is by paulo coelho and the word only has one 'm'...

for your title, how about:

the habitual pilgrims
    the constant pilgrims
    the pilgrims club
    passionate pilgrims
    pilgrims on the loose

or just plain...

pilgrims

9. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Oh thanks a lot for those suggestions on titles as you got me thinking. I know I have failed to look at other aspects of the story like friendship and the year and now I'm sitting with a thought and should come up with something fascinating. I'm also wondering if I can use the name of the pi;grim spot?? Not sure but will come back for more suggestions...

Thanks a lot to every one you are such professionals who riddled me out so quick...

10. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

It's not because you found out about a word that you need to use it.

11. mammamaia

yes, you can use the name of the shrine... and it may be a good idea to use it in the title... which one is it?