1. CrystalDreamer59

CrystalDreamer59 Active Member

Stuck

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CrystalDreamer59, Feb 6, 2014.

I have had this idea for a story in my mind for a few of months now and have begun writing it only to realize that it's way too much like what the author of the Percy Jackson series Rick Riordan would write. I couldn't help it, I was kind of inspired by his ideas. Now I'm trying to get this idea I had for a story for the past few months out of my mind and am trying to come up with a new story, but every time I come up with an idea for a story I come back to this one idea as if I'm obsessed with it. I haven't journaled in a few days. Maybe that would help get me some better ideas. What do you think I should do. Should I continue journaling.

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

I don't see why you'd stop to begin with.

So what if it's like Percy Jackson? Unless everything you're writing is identical in essence then you might as well keep going.

3. CrystalDreamer59

The story idea that I had was to be somewhat like Percy Jackson but based on Norse mythology instead of ancient Greek mythology. It was to be about a teenage girl named Aria and a teenage boy named Sky who find out they are long lost cousins and are both distant descendants of the Norse god Odin and together they must stop this mysterious man named Colby who turns out to be a distant descendant of Loki who is jealous of the cousins powers. I recently read that the author of the series Rick Riordan has plans of releasing a series of three books based on Norse Mythology next year sometime. there aren't very many details about his new series but he had the idea for these books since before he wrote the Percy Jackson series meaning before I came up with my idea for my story based on Norse Mythology.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The thought that comes to mind is, are you just developing a plot or are you developing a story?

A story is something you want to tell. A plot is the medium for telling the story.

I'm guessing you don't want to tell the same story as Percy Jackson, or you don't have a story in mind. You have a plot that is too familiar. But that's just a guess. Am I right and you are only looking at plot, or do you have a story the plot is the medium for the telling?

5. CrystalDreamer59

Yes this is really more of a plot then a story as I have yet to come up with the whole story. And yeah the idea is similar to some other ideas out there but it was not my intention for my idea to be this much like other ideas. I got most of my inspiration for this idea believe it not from the history channel series ancient aliens.

6. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

Work with it for a while. So what if it's similar or moves along similar lines? Hell, use his characters and make it fan fiction. Look, you have to accept that what you are writing is either being done a) for the money or b) because it's what you want to write and it makes you happy. If you are writing for the money, then there's probably some amount of market for fan fiction. If you are writing because it makes you happy, then hey, this sounds like what will make you happy.