1. maybesomedaysoon

maybesomedaysoon New Member

Stuck!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by maybesomedaysoon, Jun 24, 2012.

Hello All:

For about five years I have had an idea in my heart for a coming of age love story. The idea has been building with scenes and details growing day by day. For the last three months I have felt so compelled by this idea that I've worked a number of outlines, back stories, scenarios....anything to get the story off the ground. I've even started a few chapters in different places within the story, to get a feel for it. That's where I am getting hung up. Every place that I start doesn't seem right for me. Nothing sounds on paper the way that it does in my head. My waste can is filled with sheets of paper and I am getting increasingly frustrated. Any thoughts?

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Keep writing and resist the urge to press the delete-button. Eventually you will have the story down on paper and can work on making it sound exactly like it does in your head. Make each sentence perfect and telling enough. Rewrite, add and clarify. Not everyone get it perfect or precise the first time around. It can take several drafts until it looks and reads the way you want and with each draft it will improve some more. Just focus on getting the story written, even in a really basic shape and then you can build on that.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A couple possibilities. Maybe you need to shelf the idea until it gels a bit more.

But what I think is more likely is you have a series of events in mind but are missing the "connective tissue." What drives the characters to move from one event to the next. In other words, yhou have a storyline, but tou don;t have a network of plots.

A plot is comprised of an actor, a goal or objective, a motivation, and an opposition. The motivation is what drives the actor (character) toward the goal, and the opposition is what pushes the actor away from the goal. An opposition is often another plot. Plots can often overlay, with the same actor, possibly the same goal, but with different motivations and oppositions.

The combination of all these plots is the plot network.

Identifying the plots that drive your story may make your story flow more naturally. Read What is Plot Creation and Development? for more information.

4. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

Don't push yourself to write the chapters. You may have such a strong idea in your head for the main parts but do not know where to begin. Do what Tesoro said and write it! Rewriting is where you are at already without the story. Sometimes trial and error is a good thing. If you don't like the opening, don't throw them all out after you write them. Those could end up working in the end. Some writers hate this, while others love it: have you considered trying to use foreshadowing as the first chapter? Worth a shot.

5. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

If writing random chapters isn't working, write some scenes which you think has to in the story some how. More often than not you will be able to find out tge deepest desires of the mc from those scenes. Then follow Cogito's advice.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Might I suggest just pushing on with the writing? Your first draft will almost never come our as you had envisioned it in your head. But that's what the editing process is for. Until you have a first draft down on paper, you don't really have anything. Your story is some abstract, unformed concept and idea known only to you, and doesn't "exist" in any meaningful way. But once you have a first draft written, even if it's not what you had anticipated and hoped for when you started out (and it won't be), you can get to work on it.

Wrestling a story into submission is all part of the art and craft of writing. The idea that they have to produce a ready-to-eat slice of perfection straight onto the virgin white page is what, in my opinion, holds most new writers back. That level of perfection takes work, and a lot of editing after the initial writing. By all means, do and try whatever you need to in order to get into the feel of your story, but at a certain point you have to just take it head on else you're never going to get it written.

7. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

Something that helps me when I'm a little stuck is to write out scenes with my characters in them. The scenes don't necessarily have any place within the story and sometimes they're just paragraphs of dialogue, but I find they help me better understand the characters and the setting. It might not produce anything to use in your story but it's a good little exercise that I find can help you build ideas.

8. maybesomedaysoon

maybesomedaysoon New Member

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I feel a little more confident already! :)