1. DoctorNovel

DoctorNovel New Member

Student, and enjoy writing for a hobby

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DoctorNovel, Aug 25, 2012.

Hello all, -- new to the forums

I am currently a student (BIO Major) and have been writing for about 4-5 years -- but even before then I have always had "ideas/vivid imagination"
    I find inspiration for my work in the most simplest things, whether it is people I see, a painting, a movie etc...
    However, I am trying to differentiate whether or not my writing is just a form of me trying to express my creativity as a hobby --
    or for people to take interest in it. I remember reading that "the average person believes he/she is above average" and in some respects I believe
    some of my writing is a bit better than I make it out to be. However I am afraid that people might think my work is not as novel as I think it is! Needless to say, I haven't let anyone read my writings -- like I said I have kept it a hobby. The reason why I am posting here is because I am not allowed to post in the other forums quite yet..the majority of my work is screenplays for TV pilots or films..
    I would love to fine tune one (or two) of them and upload it here for some official feeback

Thanks,

2. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

Hello, and let me be the first to give you welcome to the forum!

Honestly? What the heck is stopping you from posting here to get some feedback? As long as you follow the rules of posting your own work for critique (as outlined on this forum elsewhere) don't think that your work isn't worthy. Once you give your own critiques, post some work. I'll give it a review :)

3. E. C. Scrubb

E. C. Scrubb Active Member

Why not both? Let it be a hobby that you want to do well in. Then let others see it. Maybe it just remains a hobby, maybe it becomes a job that you make trillions doing. I don't see a losing situation here. Don't worry about labeling yourself. As Nike says, just do it.

4. DoctorNovel

DoctorNovel New Member

Thanks so much for the feedback --
    now I'm excited -- I will post either a screenplay or my ideas for tv pilots on here with in the next day or so for a review!

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

In _On Writing_ (yes, yes, go head, mock me) my recollection is that Stephen King distinguishes between (1) people who can never become writers, (2) competent writers, (3) pretty good writers and (4) geniuses. I believe that his argument is that with a lot of work, the competent can advance to pretty good. (That is, I believe, where he classes himself - he certainly doesn't call himself a genius.)

I'd suggest that you assume that you're competent and that you start the hard work of advancing to pretty good. There may be two or three geniuses in the world right now; remaining paralyzed by the fear of not being one of them is a waste of everyone else's sub-genius but nevertheless valuable talent.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

On Writing is a very good book, and a lot of King's advice is perfectly sound. The problem only comes when people start treating it as scripture, in my opinion.

7. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

Your only problem seems to be that you haven't enough confidence in your writing to keep doing it. Well, determining whether your work is "good" or not is simple: just have at least 10 different people read it and get their feedback. Places like here are great for that, so post it...random people on the internet are probably going to be more honest than your mom or somebody you're close to. Since you're a student, also consider asking your English professor (or a former one if you're not currently taking a course) for feedback on a short excerpt, just to have him/her evaluate the writing itself from the sample provided.