Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Student Told By Principle To Go Back In The Closet

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by A.M.P., Mar 25, 2015.

Basically, kid comes out expecting to be bullied and whatnot but does it anyway.
    Brave lil' dude.
    Then the school principle tells him to go back in the closet...
    Didn't see that coming.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I've seen this vid. It would have been more effective if his obviously caring and concerned boyfriend had pawed on him just a smidge less during the filming. o_O

3. A.M.P.

Oh, so it wasn't just me :p
    It's practically sexual... He has the whole chest scratch, nose flair combo going, lol.

But I've been reading a lot of anti-gay and anti-sexist (For both genders) posts, blogs, media, whatever, and I find it so odd it exists.
    I see so little of it in my personal life (That I notice anyway) that sometimes I forget how much rougher it is for a kid or what women have learned to deal with.
    It's a nice reminder that I need to be sensitive about it and there's still something to fight for.

Wreybies likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The affectionate one looks suspiciously older than the kid. Hopefully it's not complicated by any statutory rape laws. There was that awful case where the 18yr old, still-in-high-school girl was dating (having sex I believe) a 14 yr girl and the younger girl's parents had the older girl charged with statutory rape.

5. GingerCoffee

So I see Austin is 17, the boyfriend probably is older. Hopefully TX isn't a state with awkward laws on teen sex.

It also turns out it was a Lutheran school. He's better off leaving.
    http://superfame.com/post/austin-wallis-kicked-out-of-lutheran-school-for-homosexual-sinful-youtube-channel-school-responds/
    High school kids deserve free speech rights, in my opinion.

Ankoku Teion likes this.
  6. A.M.P.

It's a Lutheran school?
    If it's a religious school, the situation should have probably been handled better.
    They have a right to choose who can and cannot go there but the way it was handled seems just wrong.
    Help the kid transfer to a regular school or something but don't force your beliefs on them in such a manner.

Ankoku Teion likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

Of course it was handled poorly. That's Texas Bible Belt bigotry for you.

8. A.M.P.

This sort of situation isn't all that uncommon, most likely not as publicized though.
    It's not Texas, it's really everywhere.
    And that makes me a sad panda.

Boger likes this.
  9. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Can't they do something about that principal? I mean, that's open discrimination - there's got to be a law against that, surely?? That principal's a bully :(

I also wish that guy's boyfriend would stop pawing - I think it's his way of showing support. I'm also a very touchy-feely person and I can see myself doing exactly the same thing as the boyfriend if my husband was crying like that kid was. However, it's not that appropriate on a campaign video lol.

10. Poet of Gore

Poet of Gore Member

lol, are you really saying don't force your beliefs on other people at A RELIGIOUS SCHOOL????????????????

these are not public schools. If your religion flat out says that a guy sexing another guy is an abomination, then the school should work on fixing what is wrong with that kid. not jut shutting up about what is moral because so many sheep are brainwashed by the gay media

11. A.M.P.

@Poet of Gore
    I said "in such a manner" at the end.
    Meaning, I think the whole thing was handled wrong.
    It could have easily been something quick and painless instead of front-page news.

12. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

There isn't anything 'wrong with that kid' (and whatever you seem to think is 'wrong' with him can't be 'fixed'), and there isn't any 'gay media'.

That said, I agree that attending a religious school isn't any sort of 'right', and this student's parents shouldn't have sent him there.

13. GingerCoffee

A person in a position of power over another, an adult talking to a child, should have more sensitivity than to tell a young person struggling with their sexuality to go back in the closet. Whether or not the parents shouldn't have sent the kid there, the other figures of authority over him have their own responsibility for how they handle such matters. The kid probably didn't choose to be there.

So you think a religious school should use shaming and ridicule toward students?

As for the rest of your post, I reported it. It's quite rude.

14. A Fellow Stalker

A Fellow Stalker Member

Since the bible contains endorsements of slavery, should private religious schools all support the CSA and push for the advancement of Human trafficking?

Not to mention, the part about homosexuality is one of the most indecisive parts of the book, and is generally considered to be easily reinterpreted.

Also if you want to tell me what the 'gay media' actually is and how it brainwashes people, I'd love to hear. I've only ever heard conservative bigots use that term when they feel like they can no longer stymie certain parts of social progress and progressiveness, and you seem like one of those types.

15. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

I would go through why what you said is complete nonsense, but I trust that every other user on this site is smart enough to see through it.

16. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

We've moved the thread to the Debate Room. This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to please remain respectful of each other.

KaTrian likes this.
  17. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

I'm sorry, but a "principle" is a value you stand for or support. A "principal" is the guy in charge of a children's school.

18. Jenurik Name

Jenurik Name Member

I don't think it's as simple as "Oh that poor kid and that evil principal and those oppressive Bible fundamentalists." I think the principal and the other students, faculty, and parents that make up the extended community are just people minding their own business, and the boy had bad luck of being gay in a Lutheran school.

The actual literal choice though is that the kid can simply transfer to a public school two miles away, or an extended community of hundreds or thousands of people is forced to self-censure their reaction at have someone openly flaunting their homosexuality in their faces.

Unlike the kid who can simply transfer, the principal is in a damned if you don't, damned if you do situation.

He doesn't want to outright expel a good kid (in fact he doesn't!), but word will find its way to the parents who might unenroll their kids. No matter what, this will attract fire from the typical crowd who are always on the lookout for the opportunity to force legislation to rule these institutions with an iron fist, which defeats the point of these institutions in the first place.

Parents will inevitably unenroll their children, similar to attendance at churches that bow to liberal/LGBT pressure and start appointing female or gay pastors. Jesuit, Catholic, and Episcopal schools go through these 'scandals' every couple years, and students migrate to schools that properly adheres to their beliefs. They absolutely do not care what liberal Bible scholars who don't practice the religion think they should be forced to do.

It's not fair for people to say "Oh the principal should do x with no regard for everything else". You don't care if some Texan Bible Belt community starts withering. In fact, that's killing two birds with one stone. But the principal himself, as the leader of this community, does.

It's a non-issue. Jews would feel dumb trying to raise outrage at not being able to have free reign in a mosque, and Muslims aren't screaming at feeling unwelcome in synagogues. Yet he's entitled to stay as a homosexual in a Lutheran school and he's just too good to transfer to public school. Just a lot of drama for the sake of it.

Ankoku Teion and 123456789 like this.
  19. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Wow. Intelligent post.

20. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Old Scratch Contributor

This is a private school, and a Christian one, and so perhaps it is reasonable that they should be able to evict someone for violating their doctrines. Perhaps.

On the other hand, those doctrines are truly disgusting, and I'm certainly not going to direct my anger at a seventeen-year-old boy for running afoul of them or feeling a little resentful about his principal's reaction. Homophobia is an abomination, from the apparent death sentence in Leviticus to the petty bigotry I see at school. His sexuality would never have been an issue for these people if their religion had not made it one. Just a lot of drama for the sake of it.

(Yes, I'm aware that not all Christianity is homophobic, but a sizable portion of the American strain is, and these people seem to fall into it)

21. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

It's a bit tricky - I guess it's a question of whether it's better to rock the boat from the inside or the outside.

I mean, I don't really accept the idea that religions are unchangeable and we have to just accept them the way they currently are, with the rules they currently have. The last ten or twenty years have seen a hell of a lot of changes in organized religion's attitudes towards gay people, after all, so just because there are still some congregations that are currently discriminating doesn't mean that these congregations will ALWAYS discriminate.

So this kid is putting the pressure on from inside the organization. Sure, he could transfer to another school, just like Rosa Parks could have stood up and walked to the back of the bus. I know, churches aren't public institutions and they aren't required to follow the same rules as public transit should follow, but this kid is apparently a member of that religious community and would like it to treat him with respect and fairness. I'm not sure that's too much for him to ask.

22. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Wow. I'm glad I don't live on your howling wilderness of a planet.

23. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Old Scratch Contributor

It's the evil conspiracy to get people their rights.

A Fellow Stalker and Ben414 like this.
  24. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Looking at other things that religions object to or have objected to, can they discipline or expel someone for:

- Having divorced parents?
    - Being a different religion?
    - Being a different race?
    - Advocating civil rights?
    - Advocating women's rights?
    - Having parents who drink?
    - Reading fantasy literature?
    - Being female and planning to work out of the home in adulthood?

As far as I can tell from the video, this wasn't about anything that the kid was doing AT the school. It was about his private life. The school demanded that he eliminate his "out" digital presence.

Let's go to another form of discrimination that often claims a religious justification:

Can religious schools legally refuse to accept non-white students?

If a religious school discovers that a student that the school thought was white has a black parent, can the school demand that that student eliminate all reference to that fact in that student's out-of-school digital life, and expel the student if they refuse? If a student advocates, in his private life, for civil rights, can a school demand that they stop doing so and expel them if they don't?

Can a school that does so still be treated as a nonprofit or a religious institution, and gain any tax or another legal advantages by doing so?

I sadly suspect that, yes, they can. This school can probably legally get away with this sort of bullying regulation of its students private lives. That doesn't mean that I will see this school as anything other than utterly despicable.

25. Jenurik Name

Jenurik Name Member

You are trying to conflate homosexuality with racism. Gays have never had to suffer lynchings and survive the Klan. Their struggle has never been to stay alive or have their vote weigh more than 3/5ths of a white person. And African-Americans have had a long history of being in the church, well before the Civil Rights era. So I'm going to consider this the misdirection it is.

But your next claim is so extraordinary I can't move on without addressing it.

On what grounds do you charge this school of being capable of expelling a student for having a black parent? Are you serious? I studied in Texas up till junior year in high school before my family moved. Public school, we played vs. these private religious schools. There were black students in soccer and tennis in both seasons, as well as basketball and a few had enough students to have a football team. So in your worldview, because religious people don't want gays in their own private schools - you immediately jump to them being racist despite that being a non-sequitur. That was your decision. And you typed that out with no expectation of being immediately debunked.

On the student's private vs public life - if when I start working in June, I start blowing up my Facebook (don't have one, that's besides the point) with swastikas and pictures of klansmen hanging black people from lampposts, my company can't fire me? It is after all private right?

Ankoku Teion and 123456789 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.