1. Edward

Edward Active Member

Creating Honorifics

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Edward, Nov 30, 2007.

Well, this isn't really so much a game, though it does involve words, but it also doesn't fit into Plot creation, or any of the subforums of Creation. And I suppose it could also make a nice game, in the vein of the old fashioned "Word making" type.

I've made (read: am in the neverending process of making) a fictional world. I'd like some Honorifics (-san, -sama, Mr., Mrs, Lord), and diminutives (-chan, -chen, -y, -ette, -ken). Would any of you be so kind as to suggest some?

I've thought about:
    -chen: Diminutive, usually used to refer to a young child, such as a son or daughter, though often used as an informal way to refer to any younger person
    -tal: honorific used to refer, generally, to anyone of the same status. As everyday as Mr. or Mrs., though between close friends or relatives it is often dropped unless formality is desired.
    -haseo: Older sister, often used euphemistically to refer to any well known older female, usable as a pronoun.
    -hasia: Younger sister, otherwise the same as -haseo.

admittedly, they're quite arbitrary.

[if this is, indeed, in the wrong place, feel free to move it. It won't hurt my feelings to fix my screw-ups]

2. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

Honorifics

In something I'm doing I needed to create spells. I didnt want to use latin or anything like lots of people do so I did two things first. I created a cypher. (Scrambling the letters in the alphabet) and took normal words. Fire, water, ice, ect. And plugged in my cypher. THe other thing I did was write them back wards and tweek them. Wind=Dniw Well i liked it but it needed.. more class. So I added letters to the begining and end. And that was my result. sodniwka. Well I didnt like that so much but it was the best I could do. So then I deleted some letters. And my result? Sowka. A completely diffrent word that for all purposes cant really be linked to Wind.

Try a cypher with american words. Maybe the full thing, Ma'am, Mister, Miss. Then shorten them. OR do them backwards and such. I tired to make these a bit more oriental sounding. That seemes to be what your after. I may be wrong. XD
    --------------
    Ma'am = Tomame = Tome - formal term for a respected female. Sarah - Tome

Sir = Ris = Rizu - Formal term fora repected male. Mark-Rizu

Mister = Retsim = Urimu - formal term for a respected older male. Ted - Urimu

Missess (as in MRS.) = Sesim = Sesiru - formal term for a respected older woman. Kelly - Sesiru
    ----------------
    Maybe you could take them further. for instance add a letter or something to mean diffrent things. EX:

Tome Chen (using yours :-D) Repected but younger female. maybe of a higher class Kira - Tome Chen

Rizu Chen - Respected younger male. Again maybe a higher class. Kai -rizu chen
    ---------------
    Have your own informal term. to add to the already existing honorifics. EX:

Informal = Lamrofni = Lanu

Lanu Sesim - An informal term for an older woman.
    -------------
    Maybe instead combine the two terms together. EX

Rizu Chen Could instead be Rizen.

Any way umm... Good luck... I'm sorry. I hope I helped. I'm pretty sure I confused you though! I wasn't aware that chan was a diminutive. I thought it was for friends. I realize it isn't an honorific but I didnt think it was diminutive

3. Edward

Edward Active Member

Well, I wasn't so much going for oriental (The main country is sort of Germanic, but I'm a little looser with basis than most fantasy stories) it just happened that way.

Some of those are good, and give me good ideas. Though I don't actually see why you'd need an informal honorific, usually it's just dropped, except when the name is dropped and the term is used as a pronoun (the ever-present-in-anime "Onii-san" and "sempai"). But then again, I could be getting that wrong, since English is a language that doesn't use honorifics, and our diminutives are along the lines of Tommy for Thomas, unlike, say, Russia, where they'll have diminutive forms of names be so different from the original that you'd never know.

What I mean by honorifics and diminutives though are pretty much suffixes or prefixes that enhance a name and show the speakers feelings and status toward and compared to the person spoken to.

I do like the cipher idea though, and I may perhaps use -tome. Also, perhaps -tomechen, because I hadn't even though of a higher status, younger age relationship... always someone to point out something you've missed.

Oh, and -chan is an honorific, though I just assume because it's used for children and people who act like children, it's sort of a diminutive as well.