1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Stupid Mistakes (not pertaining to writing)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Garball, Sep 12, 2014.

Well, I've installed a new sink and faucets in Emily's kitchen, put a new gasket under her leaky toilet, crawled under her house and repaired a broken water line in the middle of winter, fixed numerous things on her car, grouted some tiles in the house, and then decided to strip her wallpaper and paint her bathroom. Now, I've painted a couple barns and some cinderblock walls; I had no idea how different interior painting was/is.

The Godforsaken Bathroom:
    The wallpaper was peeling. I can fix that. Two layers and two weeks later I finally reached the original layer of wallpaper that was glued directly to the drywall. Can't remove that; I'll simply tape the trim and moulding, prime, texture, and paint. A lot of drywall compound later, it was time to paint. Did I mention I've only done exterior painting on farm buildings? Tonight, I just finished the second coat of gris, a fairly neutral gray paint, when I realized I had made a huge mistake. I used the tape to enable myself to be reckless with the primer, texture, and two coats of paint. In a vain attempt to remove the tape, I ended up peeling and ruffling the border/edge of paint. Fuck.

Somebody, please make me feel less stupid.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I've left masking tape on the windows way too long in the Sun and had to scrape a gazillion tiny cemented pieces off with a razor because I didn't peel the stupid tape off in a timely manner after painting.

I feel your pain. :)

3. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

600cc superbike, no helmet, teaching car park maneuvers, asked how to wheelie, i show, i show alternative method i didnt normally do. Well, 40-50mph and a brick wall later, i felt preeeetty stupid. Cracked skull, metal plate in the clavicle to show for it.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Every time I drive down a certain road I always seem to forget about the traffic lights at the same zebra crossing. I use that road to get to the hardware shop, and find myself almost doing an emergency stop every time I see the red light at the last minute. I'm an idiot.

5. Marle

Marle New Member

My ex-husband accidently left a tube of super weather strip adhesive in the drawer next to my night stand after winterizing our bedroom windows.......without turning the lights on...........I reached for my lubricant prior to our love making...........OMG....WTF!!!! did I do?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  6. Marle

Marle New Member

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Lifting heavy boxes and straining my back muscles. I'm 25! I'm too young to have permanent back injury! D:

8. Lemex

Am I the only one who sets the alarm clock too early and then thinks 'Well, I have an hour, I'll just stay in bed' and fall back asleep, and then you are late?

minstrel likes this.
  9. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

No.

Lemex likes this.
  10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

When I was at my AIT* in the USAF I once got into my car, in uniform mind you, reached for and opened a little jar of Carmex I had left in the car, not thinking about the fact that the heat inside the car (summer, California) had melted the Carmex completely. It spilled down my shirt and also onto my trousers. Uniform ruined and already late for class. :(

* AIT is what you call whatever training school you go to for the job you've been assigned in the service. Mine was in Monterey, CA.

11. Lemex

It's really bad when you are a teacher. I'm way too honest with my students. ¬.¬

12. Swiveltaffy

I had a professor who was making an example with a story.

"It's like those times when you open a box of cereal and you just get a giant spoonful right out of the box."

I don't recall what he was trying to get at, but it was great. I think eccentricity and honesty as a teacher/professor (generally when lined up with a breed of passion) tends to lead to wonderful classes. The material is communicated more efficiently, you see an actual human being in action, and it sticks with you. Not to mention, tenacity is damn infectious. Of course, I'm rambling, and I'm sure you know all these things.

Lemex likes this.
  13. Lemex

Damn right I do. That is the sort of teacher I aim to be, and like to think I am.

14. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Early on in he day I had locked eyes with a guy I was desperately attracted to. That kind of instant attraction that makes you want to drop your drawers before you even know their name.

Later, I am walking down the street minding my own business. There he is....and he's staring right at me....with doe eyes and a smile. It's unnerving me, and my mind is like....don't look there. He's not looking at you. It's someone behind you, you'll look like an idiot if you approach. Look away, look away, don't make eye contact. Until I finally pass. Phew....that was close almost made a dick of myself.

Except I did make a dick of myself because from the safety of the other side of the street I could see there was no-one behind me. He was directing that at me and I missed the chance to bone the hottest guy I had ever met.

15. Swiveltaffy

Yeah I hope I can be like that. I don't know if it'll be well received in high school, though. I'd probably eventually get my MA and hopefully Ph.D but finances will postpone that.

Lemex likes this.
  16. Lemex

Don't give up the dream. I'm doing my MA right now, and plan on doing the same thing: PhD. People do it, and you are no different. :)

I'm in contact with a PhD student, and he's inspiring me, telling me the same thing.

17. Swiveltaffy

That's great. I hope it goes as best.

I find that surrounding oneself with that kind of atmosphere really helps (like this site).

Lemex likes this.
  18. Wreybies

Twice in my life I let a very good friendship with a str8 guy get ruined by taking it into the Sex Curiosity bedroom.

19. PensiveQuill

I imagine there were all sorts of hang-ups about sexual identity involved? Str8's are weird like that, as if admitting that actually a dude's buttocks turn them on is some kind of affront to their inner being.

20. Lemex

It might just be because I'm a bit ... odd, but I'm very comfortable with my sexuality. I'm straight, but I've slept with guys before.

PensiveQuill likes this.
  21. PensiveQuill

I'm str8 (I think, maybe...actually I have no idea) but I unerringly end up with gay men for partners. I just borrow them for a while, then they go back to being gay. They don't seem to be scarred by the experience.

Lemex and Wreybies like this.
  22. Wreybies

I have, in my much younger days, driven home Family Guy drunk:

Lemex likes this.
  23. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

A lot of PhD programs offer stipends, so you're basically being paid to do a PhD (it's not much, but it's something). I don't know if an MA is required when applying for a PhD, though. From what little I know, for some schools you can apply for a PhD program straight out of undergrad.

24. Lemex

Here you can apply to do a PhD from an undergrad if you got a First, or have research work under your belt like a researcher position with a university. Mostly, though, unless you are some sort of exceptional genius or researcher, you'll need to do an MA.

25. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Over here, anybody can apply, and while grades do matter to a certain extent, research experience and good letters of recommendation can make a big difference. For example, if you get letters of recommendation from Harold Bloom and Noam Chomsky, you're pretty much automatically getting accepted.