1. ModestKittee

ModestKittee New Member

Stupid Problem...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ModestKittee, Mar 29, 2009.

It's very likely that I will be lambasted for this but I have two stories in my mind and I cannot decide which one is more "dominant."

When you have multiple ideas floating inside your head, how do you decide which one to expound upon? It's almost like I have two main characters in my head about to duke it out with one another.

Silly right?

2. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

write them both

3. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

I never believed much in writing two stories at once for as you mentioned, they duke it out in your head for supremacy each infringing on the other's story.

Set one aside, they will not leave the boundaries of the word document and center on one. Whatever you learn from the first story, you bring to the other, why make the same mistakes twice, if you improve, always show that in any future pieces. always learn or be willing to.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There is nothing wrong with writing them both at once. I think a lot of us here have multiple projects going on at any given time.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Yep. Lots of us can do more than one at a time. If you don't want to do that, try switching which one you work on every day, and if on a day you would be working on story A, you feel you should be doing story B, then that's the one you stick to.

6. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

That's the problem, too many have too many stories going at once. That doesn't teach you anything but how to put off one to work on another

my thoughts of course but i believe a story should have your complete attention to detail, not a spattering.

so i disagree

7. Rei

One should have the majority of your attention, but you shouldn't feel tied down. If you get stuck, it's good to be able to put it aside and work on something else. It's not the same thing as procrastonating. It's taking a break.

8. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i disagree again, if you put something down, its procrastonation or you are trying to get away from pushing yourself to write. writing doesn't always flow, sometimes it jams but if you turn away from the first block, it becomes easier to do so in the end.

different views on writing, that is all. what words for you might not work for me.

the idea is they have two stories in mind, both with apparently strong characters, each should be handled seperately rather than have them compete. Rob peter to pay paul comes to mind.

Still you have your views, i respect them.

appreciate your thoughts and return to this conversation.

Well writing to all.

thank you

9. Rei

Almost every single writer I have ever met says it's good to take a break when you feel stuck. They also say pushing yourself is bad. It's not putting it off. It's refreshing yourself. Everyone says it's good to take a rest from working, no matter what you are working on.

Besides, I'm not sure what point you are arguing to begin with, because the alternating days thing was just a way to decide which story to put your energy into. You'd only have to do it for a week, at most.

10. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i'm not arguing, i'm discussing.

I guess, Modesskittee, it wasn't a silly question after all.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

11. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

There is no such thing as stupid problems, just stupid people with problems. ;)

Nah, it isn't stupid. I have that same problem with myself all the time, what I normally do is write them both down on a piece of paper and decide which story I would like to write first. Or what story that I'm ready to write, based on my mood and how much I have planned for each story because one may be more prepared than the other. I prefer not to write two stories at once because when I do, they always both end up getting trashed. I would say to write one story, then go back to the other. If the first story ends up good enough for a second draft, then you could return to it whence you finish writing the first draft of the second story.

But hey, whatever works for you! :)

12. ModestKittee

ModestKittee New Member

Thanks folks. I didn't know I would spark such a heated debate! In the car today I was joking with my husband that I should combine the 2 competing characters into one book. (Just kidding.) I do want to stick to one at a time, I just need to flip a coin or something to decide which one comes out first.

I did learn something earlier this week though that was a great help to me. Reading on Stephie Meyer's website she explained that when she started her book Twilight, she started in the middle, wrote through the end and then came back and wrote the beginning. In my mind, this was a break through because I had always thought I had to write a book from the beginning and to me, that is the hardest part about writing. Getting started.

13. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

I would still have that problem no matter where I start in the story. The first page is always the hardest for me. Really the first paragraph. Ok the first sentence. Actually just the first word. Once I get that first word it's smooth sailing, but damn that first word can be hard sometimes. Should it be THe or It or what?
    Seriously though whenever I sit down to write I have a terrible time thinking of what to write. Once I start writing though it just flows.

On you're original problem I stick by what I said earlier. I don't mean actively write both. Don't write a page of one then switch to the other. I mean just what Rie said. Start writing one and if you ever have a block switch stories. That will keep you writing and keep the creative juices flowing. It doesn't matter which story you are working on because writing anything will improve your mastery of the craft.

14. architectus

architectus Banned

I completed three novels in less than a year, and I wrote short stories while working on each novel, so I don't think writing two things at once should prevent you from finishing the other.

A novel is a lot of work. I sort of need to write a few short stories while working on a novel, or I grow tired of the novel. That change of pace keeps me going.

I would never try to work on two novels at once, though. Too much work.

15. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

yes, but what about putting one story together but not moving in chapters such as working on chapter 9 because you get stuck in chapter 4 is that putting it off? Also what is concidered a break from writing if you get blocked, how long shoul you put it off?

16. architectus

architectus Banned

I have never tried writing ahead because when I write a chapter unexpected things happen. If I write chapter nine before I finish chapter four, I might end up writing a bunch of useless stuff because of how much changes by the time I make it to chapter nine.

17. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo New Member

First off, your problem is not stupid. It's what almost every advancing writer goes through at some point.

I think you should write one of them for a few days, then switch off. That way you get both of them done, without getting sick of them. I have two stories right now, but I know which one is more dominant.

Also, if you ever get completely stuck on one of them, just drop it for awhile. When you take a brake on it you will most likely think of an idea.

Good luck on your stories!

18. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

When I decide to write something but have two stories in my head, what I do is decide which one I want to write the most. I start that one and focus on it, but when I need a break from that story and those characters, I write the other one as a way to help myself relax so that I don't start hating the plot and/or characters of the original.

19. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

It's strange how varied we all are when it comes to writing and in the end come to the same destination.

20. Rei

There is putting work aside out of laziness and then there is putting it aside because you need a rest. Breaks and rest periods, no matter what the task is, is so individual that I doubt anyone could answer that last question. We all have our own way of doing things. Some people have the ability to work on multiple projects without any problem. Others have to focus all their energy on one. Sometimes you need to let an idea sit. Walk away from it, and when you come back, you'll be able to look at it with a new perspective and better energy. If you push yourself every time you feel stuck or tired, you are probably going to get sick of the project and burn out.

21. ModestKittee

ModestKittee New Member

Thanks again folks. I started last night on my story. It is a pretty twisted tale at least I think so. :)

The other character will just have to wait. *wink*