1. staceylouise

staceylouise Active Member

stupid writing times :/

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by staceylouise, Mar 9, 2014.

Heya! I know I am posting on here at a ridiculous time (again!) , but that's kind of what this thread is about. Writers are all meant to have their set writing times when you are able to think, feel, and write more freely, for some this can be an hour first thing in the morn, or getting home from work? During the eve? But for me it's silly times like midnight I might get the bug to write and need to write the next piece - so a nessecity, but then work through to 3/4am! Is there anyone else out there like me???? This time doesn't suit my lifestyle as have 3 kids so cld spend all day writing, but that's when my pen needs to write and I need to let my imagination run on paper. It's so annoying cos come 6 am and get up so tired, then I'm ok, then falling bk to slp during day, then same routine that night. I have tried to change it but no luck lol xx

KatieValino likes this.
  2. vera2014

vera2014 Contributing Member

I read somewhere that Daniel Steel would write during the nights. I think she has 7 children. I imagine she'd be pretty tired sometimes.

3. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Do you work outside the home, @staceylouise ? Are your children in school, or pre-school?

My hat's off to you for squeezing in writing time while looking after children as well. It's not easy. But if you're not working outside the home, and your kids do go to school, maybe you could schedule a regular nap while they're away, to catch up on your sleep? Then when you start in at midnight, you'll be able to work for longer without being so tired the next day.

I can understand being creative when everybody else is in bed. In fact it's what I do myself, although I don't stay up late, I get up early. 4am, if I'm really into writing. 5am most days. That still gives me a few hours of peace. I did this when I was working as well, and even when I had to go in at 8am, I still had a couple of writing hours under my belt.

Good luck!

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Late at night is when I'm most productive as well. I don't have any kids, though, so I can pretty much write any time I want.

The Russian writer Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote his first novel while a prisoner at a work camp. He wrote down a few sentences at a time on scraps of paper, memorized them, and then burned the scraps of paper to avoid getting caught by the guards. If he could find the time to write, so can you. ;)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is a duped thread... read my response on the other one and ask a moderator to combine them...

6. Robert_S

Robert_S Contributing Member

I prefer the quiet hours of night to write. Only my computer and procrastination as the distractions. However, in my current situation, I do not have that luxury. It's during the day, on weekends 9-5 and sometimes I can get up the energy to write 7-9 mon-fri.

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I write at night. Sometimes that can be a bonus ( taking everything I've absorbed during the day and incorporating some of it into my work ), sometimes it can be annoying - especially if I get in a groove. My body wants sleep, my heart wants to get the scene out.

8. staceylouise

staceylouise Active Member

wow thanks for your mixture of replies there!!! I dont feel so bad now knowing that im not the only 1. i have 3 young school children, so when they come home from school and before they go is the time i need to get them sorted, then when they are at school thats the food shopping and chore days, maybe one solid day of eriting if im lucky, but mostly it will be after the children are in bed and all is ready for the next day, about 11ish i get to sit down and can write up to 2am/4am depending on how into it I am. xxx