1. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Style of Narration

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Reggie, Dec 12, 2010.

What styles of narration do you use, the first person, the second person, or the third person? I always use first person. I find it hard to change the POV character whenever I need to when I use the first person. “I walked to her house to see her crying.” I’m not sure how she can tell the main character that she is crying rather than “me” telling her that. I never thought about using the third person, and I’m not sure if that is something I should consider. So what perspective do you use?

2. Naiyn

Naiyn Contributing Member

My current WIP is 3rd person limited. I switch VPC quite a lot and it just seems to work for this story. I hadn't given it much thought until I sat down to begin, and 3rd person just "came out" so that's what I went with.

I haven't written a short story in quite some time, but a lot of them were in 1st person. I guess I don't really have a preference, as I enjoy reading and writing both.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Depends what I am writing - if I am writing historical or general fiction I tend towards past tense and for historical I do entirely third person.

My particular brand of fantasy writing lends itself to first person present tense it works best that way. It is the style I enjoy writing the most.

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

I almost always use Third Person Limited. I have used First Person and once Second Person for a bit of one story of sorts. But I prefer third person.

5. MetalRenard

MetalRenard Member

I tend to go for first person as I find 3rd person to be too revealing.
    I have written in both though.

I think you should just go with what ever feels right for that story.

6. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

I'm using third person limited, because I like using different perspectives to tell the story. For example, describing something from the point of view of someone who barely sees what happens to keep suspense up. Or using someone's point of view to show their own character.

In fact, I'd like to call the POV I'm using "third person subjective". I let the POV character's thoughts and perceptions leak into the narration, going as far as letting the narrator take on the POV character's way of speaking.

For example, if the POV character is angry, he doesn't see a horse, he sees a damn farm animal.
    If the POV character doesn't know what a car is, he may see a box with wheels instead.
    If the POV character is jealous of his new co-worker's popularity, he doesn't see his co-worker smile, he sees him ingratiate himself.
    If the POV character is intellectual, the narrator becomes more intellectual. If the POV character is rambling, the narrator becomes more rambling, and so on.

I also mix the characters thoughts with the narration without tags most of the time, like this:

7. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle Senior Member

My favorite is third person omniscient...and the narrator's voice in my head as I write is always British, sometimes I think the voice sounds like Nanny McPhee...I am so weird. I guess I do not want to be the narrator myself LOL.

8. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t Contributing Member

Most of the time I use first person for my MC(s), and third person limited for all secondary characters.

9. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Mostly, I use third person. It's just more common. But sometimes I will write a piece in first person. I find it more personal in a way.

10. kirstylouise666

kirstylouise666 New Member

Third person limited... its my favouite. I switch between the main characters

11. EagleOne

EagleOne Member

I prefer 3rd person omniscient with some limited dialogue between characters as needed.

Cheers,

12. sereda008

sereda008 Senior Member

Personally I write (And read) third person. It is the most convenient and fun to read.

13. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

This^
    :)

14. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Ooh, I do like Islander's definition. It's kinda how I go as well :) I don't tend to leak so many direct thoughts in just because I do also write in first person a fair bit, so I don't like mixing them too much.

I feel very differently about my first person narrators versus the third ones. The first person ones I usually end up quite emotionally bonded with, and get very involved in their view point - so usually if I only have one project I'm working on, I'll do 1st person. I can work on several projects at once if I'm using third because it's easier to just use my own voice wherever I feel like being creative. If I'm not in the mood for first, it won't come out, but you can always force something in third. Consequentially, I have way more third person projects than first, though there's always one lurking somewhere.

I'm also much better at finishing third person projects for the same reason. :p

15. Bartleby

Bartleby Member

!!!

EVERY narrators voice in my head is british and I have no Idea why.

16. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

Almost always third.

17. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle Senior Member

Glad I am not the only weird one!!

18. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

Same here.

I've been thinking about writing a short story in first person, so may try and actually do that...

19. maigan8903

maigan8903 New Member

Question about the narrative view...i guess

Okay, so I'm trying to write something, and I don't like writing in the 3rd person, and for some reason I'm finding it hard to write in the 1st person and was wondering if it was 'allowable' and if it would look stupid to write in the 3rd person but don't necessarily go into the other characters (besides the main character) thoughts and feelings and stuff like that? Am i making any sense? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated....

20. Islander

I don't see any problem with keeping your third person POV locked to one character. Switching POVs is just an option third person makes possible.

21. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes Member

Third person is a broader canvas for me, I can creep deep peeper into the story because I am not limmited to one Charicter. I have messed around with First, though it has the feeling of hearing a story first hand, I find if not done well, it lacks in color.

I can use some practice, so maybe with time I would improve.

When I read, I try to avoid stories written in first for that reason. I have read some that were excellent, but the majoritylost my interest after a few chapters. Just an odd preferance. I know a very nice lady who was oposed to any story written in third, She found it detatched. Though I don't quite share her view, I could understand how she could come to that conclusion.

22. Islander

They just sound better :) IMHO, many of the greatest audio book narrators are British. I think a good narrator can actually improve on the writer's prose and dialogue.

23. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Look up Cbeebies Bedtime Stories on YouTube - some of them can read me a bedtime story anyday lol David Tennant is my favourite.