1. David Quinton

David Quinton New Member

English Grammar is bad, are the Dummies books worth it?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by David Quinton, Mar 1, 2014.

I am about to embark on writing a novel, or hope to. I have done a fair bit of background for places, characters etc. My sticking point is, my grammar is..bad.
    I was wondering which of the English Grammar Dummies books would be better, the Workbook or the English Grammar for Dummies. I'd use them if I am getting stuck on how to create a sentence or for descriptions.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The Dummies series is pretty good. I haven't used the grammar one specifically, but I've used other books in the series. It's probably a good place to start. The Elements of Style by Strunk and White is a classic among writers and students. The only downside is that it's a bit outdated and doesn't cover every rule out there, but it's cheap and worth having in my opinion.

Reading can help with grammar, too. Pay attention to the sentence structure, word order, etc. when you read, and your grammar should improve in no time.

3. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

I looked into what was available for viewing on Amazon ("look inside"), and I was surprised to find that they look pretty decent.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

THIS!

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If you post portions of what you write on the forum Workshop section (once you've fulfilled the criteria for posting ...see the Information section in the Menu Bar) I'm sure members will be able to help pinpoint the areas you most need to work on. That might help you focus on what parts of grammar to study. From what you've posted thus far, I'd say your grammar isn't all THAT bad, to be getting on with. Good luck!

6. David Quinton

David Quinton New Member

Thank you one and all. I have ordered the workbook. Mainly for reference. The last thing I want to do is write a ton of lines and find it's riddled with errors. I have started a card index system with cards for characters, places and various other pieces. It took a couple of my friends to give me the boost to do it. I will of course if get stuck ask. And when I have written enough, post it. When that will be no idea. It's mainly in the planning and researching phase at present.

7. vera2014

vera2014 Member

I love to read Dummies books; they are usually packed with a ton of information. They're priced fair too. I have the English Grammar for dummies book and think it's super awesome.