1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Submissions CLOSED for a runoff vote of the 34 Sci-fi Contest entries

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by GingerCoffee, Mar 16, 2014.

There were some very excellent entries in the Sci-fi contest that did not make the top five. This vote is an effort to give some recognition to those authors.

The sci-fi contest authors have been revealed, so anonymity is out. Regardless, for the next week, anyone who wants to put their contest entry in a straw poll, I'll put those entries up for a runoff vote.

You may seek critiques and comments in the story threads, it will have no impact on entry eligibility. If authors are interested, send me a PM and I will go ahead and post your story here in this thread. You need not copy it in a PM unless you've asked Daniel to delete your entry.

If I get more than five entries in the next week, I'll hold the contest. If not I won't.

This is in addition to the regular short story contest.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. GingerCoffee

[​IMG]
    Just a reminder, the runoff contest is open for entries.

3. GingerCoffee

Submissions are open, extended for another week. We have 4 people/stories so far. Come on Sci-Fi contest entrants, you put your story up for a vote once. There are some really good entries in the bunch. Let's see what our fellow forum members think about the stories.

peachalulu and BeckyJean like this.
  4. GingerCoffee

We have six entries. We need more but the contest is on. Contact me if you want to enter your story, and if you want to edit any typos of frank errors.

It looks like a consensus to allow mistakes to be corrected but we don't want editing of the actual story.

I'll take submissions until the 30th.

BeckyJean likes this.
  5. BeckyJean

BeckyJean Member

Do WE need to submit our stories to you via private conversation, Ginger? Or will you take care of it on your end?

6. GingerCoffee

Yours is taken care of as are the folks who notified me, unless they want to fix any typos.

7. casperpearl

casperpearl New Member

Thanks for doing this, you can count me in!

8. GingerCoffee

Excellent!

9. GingerCoffee

Last call to request your sci-fi story be entered in the straw poll runner up contest. There are a dozen or so stories entered at this point. :D

BeckyJean likes this.
  10. GingerCoffee

Current count: We have 14 confirmed entries, three definite declinations, and I've not heard from the remaining 17.

Yay, there is a sufficient number for a good contest. I'll give people the rest of today, that's 5 more hours.

Voting will start tomorrow and go for the standard two weeks (but end on Sunday). Multiple votes will be allowed but I will be asking people to please not vote for more than 3 entries. Or you may vote for one or two, remember multiple votes dilute the count for your top pick.

I will not be posting authors' names directly in the contest but obviously they are posted elsewhere in the forum. The idea however, is to encourage people to divorce their feelings about each author and just vote on the story.

The goal of the contest is to give people an idea how well the stories not in the top five were received. At this time we have no information back from Daniel as to how the other stories were judged by the outside panel. Perhaps after the contest we can find out the ranks the other stories came in at. By allowing three votes I believe we'll get a better idea than if only the top stories received votes.

11. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

Aargh! I suppose as I want as many comments as possible about my story, I really should enter.

Count me in!

12. GingerCoffee

OK, you're in.

You can go ahead with critiques, don't worry.

13. swoodson

swoodson New Member

To GingerCoffee. I will take you up on your offer to put my entry in the straw poll. Tell me if I need to do anything different.

Thanks!
    Scott Woodson

14. GingerCoffee

Excellent, we have 16 now.

Authors need not do anything, I'll copy the stories from their respective threads. YOU MAY CORRECT TYPOS and FRANK MISTAKES. But keep in mind a lot of people have already read the stories and won't be re-reading them. Also, typos are overlooked if they aren't numerous. But I recognize some authors are sensitive about the pieces they present to the public and those little typos can loom large and I don't want this contest to be stressful for anyone.

To correct a typo or error, send me a PM if there are less than 5. More than five, fix them and PM me the revised story. I'll replace the version I entered (assuming I'll have the poll up before people have time to fix typos).