Subplots?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ritrezer, May 4, 2014.

1. Chris Maloney

Chris Maloney New Member

as a few others have said, in novels sub-plots are necessary, not only can they enhance the story, but they can keep you interested in writing it.
    I for one tend to get a bit bored writing the same story, so it keeps me entertained diverting from the main plot on occation

2. Mystovation

Mystovation New Member

hmmm alright it seems like i'm unable to avoid the subject of subplots. Would it be better to expand on the main character? or would it be better to include more characters and have a separate plot that would tie in to the main one?

3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

@Mystovation, neither option is better nor worse; it all depends on your story.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

You got to walk
    That lonesome valley
    You got to walk
    It by yourself
    Ain't nobody here can walk if for you
    You got to walk it by yourself.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Please credit song lyrics (or any other quoted material), @EdFromNY.
    In this case, the song is "The Reverend Mr. Black." The songwriters are Billy Wheeler, Jerry Lieber, and Mike Stoller.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@Mystovation : The best answers to any writing question, you will get from your favourite novels. You want to figure out how subplots work? Take a book that is either most similar to your story, or that inspired you in some way, and analyse what kind of subplots they had. Not to copy them, obviously, but to learn. Subplots are usually (not always) in different points of view, so you can analyse when the pop up, which chapter, how much 'stage time' they get, how they relate etc. Do that with ten of your favourite books, do that for ten writing questions you have, and you'll have a wealth of knowledge and examples.

Another thing is, it sounds like your knowledge of creative writing is less then rudimentary, since you weren't aware that subplots are as integral to a narrative as the main story. It's difficult to write before you know enough about writing. Buy some books on writing. You have loads of recommendations on the forum, or search for them on line and see which one appeals to you. Writing is a difficult craft, and there are many things to consider. I think you'd find educating yourself about it useful.

7. EdFromNY

Actually, the text is a traditional spiritual, based on the 23rd Psalm (according to my parish hymnal). Woody Guthrie adapted it and added several verses not quoted here. I never heard of "The Reverend Mr. Black."

minstrel likes this.
  8. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Now, that's just funny... in a warped, truly sick sense of humor sort of way. I am currently figuring out just how much of a sort of unnecessary sub-plot in my current WIP is going to have to be ripped out, re-written, moved, or manipulated. It's put the skids on forward progression because I realized it was actually slowing down the story. But, at least to a certain extent, much of what is going on is really necessary. In other words: subplots? Yes. Difficult? Sometimes.

And, thanks, I really needed that reminder to make me feel incompetent! ;p

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, ed, but the version you posted is the song 'lonesome valley' that is credited to joan baez as 'songwriter'... so it should have been cited, regardless of where she got the inspiration for the paraphrasing of an old, bible-based spiritual...

even if it was only the traditional spiritual, that should have been cited as the origin of the wording you posted, so it wouldn't seem you were claiming to have written it... which is what one must assume, whenever something is quoted in a post with no attribution...

minstrel...
    wheeler, et al. used that part as the chorus to their song... but i agree baez & company should have been cited...

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Please let's not get into another spat over quoting lyrics. It's off-topic and the issue has been dealt with. :)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  11. Mystovation

Mystovation New Member

I'm only sixteen, my knowledge of everything is less than rudimentary.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

OMG! I'm not the only one who assumed it was obvious one was quoting a well known song lyric.

Even though I didn't know who wrote the lyric, it was obvious from the context @EdFromNY wasn't writing an original lyric there.

OK, I already conceded it was best to cite the author and it wasn't wrong to point it out. But I feel you there @EdFromNY, truly I do. :)

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I didn't think too much about my subplots. They exist as conflicts in addition to the main conflict just as characters exist in addition to the main characters.

14. EdFromNY

Subplots are what my characters do while I'm trying to get them to do what I want them to do.