1. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

suddenly unable to post

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Exzalia, Sep 1, 2013.

My friends and I have come across something strange, Mr. Fox and my self can not create any new posts in the rpg section nor can we pm anything of a sizeable length. It's seems over a certain word limit we get Internal server errors. This has only happened to mr. fox and myself so far. As far as I know everyone else can post though I may be wrong.

what is strange is that it only seems to have effected myself and Mr.fox , and it seems to have little effect when posting elsewhere like say here. Of course if I can't make big posts I can't very GM my rpg, which would really blow. So understandably I would hope a solution will be found quickly.

Any help would be nice.

2. Exzalia

never mind doesnt work

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Exzalia

Edit: okay so it does post here but it won't in the rpg thread

Edit again: never mind doesn't work anywhere

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Hi there,

As Exzalia has explained, I recently tried to post a 419 word post into one of the RPs. However I came across an internal error, preventing me from posting. So to test I decided to PM the full post to Ex and still had no luck. A shortened version of the post worked, writing like that would be inefficient.

One thing I tend to do before posting is create the RPG piece on a word document first and then copy and paste into the text box here. Could that be compounding the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Fox

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

The best I can tell you shouldn't be having this problem and should be able to post in the RPs and PMs. Is the error something specific, or does it just say internal server error?

6. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

@Fox, try pasting in to a edit box and clicking the little T with an underline and an x on the left side of the editor.

It it's hanging up from formatting from your word processor, that might get rid of it...

7. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Ignore

8. Exzalia

let me get back to you, I need to test somthing

This is so odd...... it would seem only certain posts go through while others don't. just a moment

9. Exzalia

okay lets try that

10. Exzalia

when we attemped Foxies post we get this Daniel

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@writingforums.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

11. Fan7asticMrFox

Here is the bottom extract of my tried post - which I think after some PMs is the cause of the problem. But I am not sure why, maybe theres a word it doesnt like?

She sprinted down the dune. He wasn’t moving. She turned him over to see a lightweight breastplate and an array of weaponry attached to his hilt. His eyes stayed shut and no amount of poking or prodding broke him from his sun ridden sleep. Maybe Necro had decided this one too weak for the world. She looked east, to Pia, and to the golden dome of the grand temple. She looked west, across the desert barrens and to the horizon. To assured work. She sighed.

“Well, my mysterious friend. You’ve just cost me a bounty.” And with that she slumped him over her shoulder, trudging back towards the lonely city.

Separately its fine, but as a full post it struggles.

12. Exzalia

but whats strange is that it seems to only happen with Foxies post, even when he typed it out in the text box

13. Fan7asticMrFox

I think what I will do is just double post and do it as a quick two part and move on. It just seems like a bit of an anomaly.

Thanks for the help all!

14. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Is it possibly you could post the exact time you saw the error, or try to recreate it and give me the time? This will help me looking through the server error log and help me find the cause.

15. Exzalia

okay Daniel hold on

16. Exzalia

6:45 AKA RIGHT NOW!

17. Exzalia

also here is what we can post seprately

Pia. A city of sanded gold, rising towards the blue heavens above. Desolate and alone it stands in the desert, expectant of a grand return. And hidden deep within this lonely land, away from the bustling markets and packed out prayer halls, is a darkened place. Passing the through narrow alleyways and down into the city’s murky depths, a select few chant together quietly, enjoying the solemn peace of the shadows. Juniper petals lay on the ground, the aroma filling the air. Small tears of flame surround them and they stare up to the tiny figurine at the front, hooded in stone with arms opened wide.

Pala lesh ma torei! Neo se mai Necro!” The words glide into the air, the statue pleased to receive them. With a breath of silence, the group now stands. The flames extinguished, the petals swept away, the sculpture hidden and the crowd disperse. Save for one.

Still kneeling, Shae lifts her head to the sky, peering between the towering sand. Blue sky. A sea of it. But no water, no. The harsh weather had taken its toll on the civilians of Pia and few could escape the wrath of the sun. So they prayed; some devout followers, others frightened sheep. But Shae knew where she stood in this chaos. Hunt and hunted until my passing.

The grand temple was not her place. Only for supplies. And now with the seven strikes, she made even more of an effort to avoid it. Instead she packed her gear together and left the sanded city, heading towards the forest of Tristar hoping for more work. Her nimble leather boots sunk through the dunes, trudging across the plains west. The sands sparkled under the sun’s glow, the heat resonating off the surface. In the distance she could see a lump in the dust, dropped like a stone in a pond.

The grand temple was not her place. Only for supplies. And now with the seven strikes, she made even more of an effort to avoid it. Instead she packed her gear together and left the sanded city, heading towards the forest of Tristar hoping for more work. Her nimble leather boots sunk through the dunes, trudging across the plains west. The sands sparkled under the sun’s glow, the heat resonating off the surface. In the distance she could see a lump in the dust, dropped like a stone in a pond.

18. Exzalia

She sprinted down the dune. He wasn’t moving. She turned him over to see a lightweight breastplate and an array of weaponry attached to his hilt. His eyes stayed closed and no amount of poking or prodding broke him from his sun ridden sleep. Maybe Necro had decided this one too weak. She looked east, to Pia, and to the golden dome of the grand temple. She looked west, across the desert barrens and to the horizon. To assured work. She sighed.

“Well, my mysterious friend. You’ve just cost me a bounty.” And with that she slumped him over her shoulder, trudging back towards the lonely city.

19. Exzalia

but put them in one post and we get the error. strange huh?

try and see if you can post them together.

20. Fan7asticMrFox

From more testing it seems that the key phrase breaking the full post is:

'His eyes stayed shut and no amount of poking or prodding broke him from his sun ridden sleep.'

21. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

I am thinking there is some hidden invalid character in there. An invisble tab or ' altough if that were the case, then typing everything instead of copying and pasting should work, but When I tested it, it didn't. Can you confirm that last @Fan7asticMrFox ?

@Daniel, @Wreybies thanks for the help :)

I am hoping its not some low-level string escaping issue, I can't imagine the pain of manually fixing this forum software...but I am getting ahead of the issue now.

22. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That internal server error is the same one I get intermittently when I try to edit some posts with smilies in them.

23. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Your sig-links are working though, @GingerCoffee. I just noticed. :)

24. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yes, Daniel fixed the problem an hour ago. I think it had to do with my 100 points that showed up at the same time, a threshold thing.

25. Exzalia

so any theories as to what the problem was?