1. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

What do you think of this title for my novel?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Jonalexher, Nov 22, 2010.

Lloyd & Lloyd

A Psychological Thriller​

My question(s) to you is:
    Is this a good attention grabber? Would reading this title make you want to grab the book, and flip it to see what it's about? What do you think the book is going to be about?

Thanks in advance :]

Side note: "A Psychological Thriller" is not part of the title, it would be at the bottom of the front cover, just to indicate the genre.

2. rpgnerdette

rpgnerdette New Member

If the front cover just said
    Lloyd & Lloyd
    A psychological thriller
    There are two ways I can take this...
    Lloyd & Lloyd makes me think either someone is schitzo, someone stole someones identity, or there are two people who think they are the same person... trying to live one life.
    Psychological thrillers are great, I hear a book is one and I will pick it up not caring about the title.
    Thus, trying to be as unbiased as possible, I would say Lloyd & Lloyd itself is kind of cute for a title(not knowing what genre it is).
    I hope that helps:D

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

There isn't really anything grabbing at all about that title. It just suggests that the book is about someone called Lloyd (or maybe two people, or maybe a firm called Lloyd & Lloyd). Either way, it isn't particularly gripping. That said, a title is the least of your worries. If the writing is good, people will find the book no matter what it's called (consider Room, one of the most talked about novels of the year--the title isn't especially striking, but that hasn't stopped critics and readers heaping praise on it).

So focus on what's inside the book, not what's outside. Things like that are mostly up to the publisher anyway--if they don't like your title, they'll change it.

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I agree.

First you have to get the publisher attention. Why not give us a choice of titles and see which one gets the most attention

5. Masli

Masli Active Member

My first thought would also be that it is about some kind of firm (lawfirm or something)

6. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk New Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. Also I agree with the others who have said it matters what's on the pages more than the cover.

7. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

It grabs my attention, but nearly as much as it would if it were titled Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd & Lloyd.

8. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Lloyds Bank Plc is one of the oldest and largest banks in England, particularly in the SW. I would think it was some ironic comment on the credit crunch, and look no further.

9. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

It sounds more like a solicitors' company than the title of a book.

10. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

That is very close to what the book is about, but it's only one person. :]

11. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
    Yeah, I should concentrate more on what's inside the book, you're right, but it was a title which I found very interesting.
    Do you guys still think of the banks and hospitals even though it says "Psychological Thriller"?

12. miss_darcy

miss_darcy New Member

I would worry about the title later on because the perfect title will come to you. I usually never come up with the name of a story until it's at least halfway finished, most of the time it's when it has come to an end lol

13. DisFanJen

DisFanJen New Member

For me, taking into consideration the Psychological Thriller tagline, I think of a court drama, like say, 'A few Good Men'.

The idea of lawyers preparing for a big court battle that stumble into back alley contacts, espionage, etc. comes to mind.

Personally that wouldn't grab me.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...not really...

...probably not...

...no clue... first guess might be that it's a business name, which is anything but interesting or attention-grabbing...

15. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Actually it would grab me - reminds me of the Cat Stevens song Matthew and Son about the nine to five rat race. I could see how it could lead to a psychological thriller. I would probably be expecting an actuary/investment banker etc in the lead role.

Other thought might be a detective agency - Like Randall and Hopkirk (deceased)

16. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

well, the front cover picture might be able to distort many of your actual opinions. One I had in mind was having the protagonist with one eye opened and the other closed.

17. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

Tell ya what - why don't you post a question, wait for us all to answer, then carry on as you were, regardless of our feedback?

18. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Forget about the front cover, that's the publisher's job.

19. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Usually, I'll skim over a title. What I worry more about is what's in the book. I'll usually read that little synopsis that books have to see if they interest me.

As for the questions?

No the title really isn't that attention grabbing in my eyes. But you can worry about titles later.

I have no idea if I really would grab this book by the title alone. Perhaps maybe I would, perhaps I wouldn't.

And I have no idea what the book would be about. I hate reading books where I can sit there and predict everything that is going to happen. It makes the book dull in my opinion. Most times, I can't finish them.

20. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

I definitely did not carry on as I was. Where are you getting your facts from?
    I am very grateful for all this feedback I'm getting and I'm considering a new title.

21. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

It immediately made me think of the bank as well.

22. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I thought Chemist/Pharmacist lol Given as the bank has long since become LloydsTSB