1. aqsmorningview

aqsmorningview New Member

Suggest to me some illustrated childrens books I should read

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by aqsmorningview, Aug 6, 2014.

So I wanna do some research for the book i'm doing about my preschool childhood days and I wanna read all sorts of illustrated children's books from the classics to new books and everything in between.Anything you think is good ill look into.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Well, I can tell you that one that my 4 year old and I really liked is Mr. Tiger Goes Wild. It's very cute and clever, and I like that it doesn't have too many words. That is, it is fairly quick to read aloud, without my son getting impatient, yet it does convey a story. Right now he is very into the Pete the Cat books.

My older son really liked the SkippyJon Jones books, but I have to say I despised them. My younger son, so far, has not expressed any interest in them. I find they take longer to read, and they make no sense whatsoever. But they sure have sold well. So, that shows what I know.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    BookLover likes this.
  3. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Senior Member

If you're talking about preschool books, a well-known author/illustrator is Lois Ehlert. Also, you have Byron Barton, Dr. Seuss, Eric Hill, Maurice Sendak and of course, Eric Carle:).

For older readers (gr. 4-6), one of the best known author/illustrators is Chris Van Allsburg.

4. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Dr. Seuss comes to mind as someone already said. So does "The Giving Tree" and another favorite, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," for specific titles. :)

5. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

Are you wanting suggestions that deal specifically with a preschool classroom? Meaning the setting is in a preschool?

Or are you wanting suggestions for any book meant for preschoolers?

The Froggy books are very popular. "Frrrooggyy!" Children love hearing that series. It uses a lot of expressive sounds. "Zoop, zup, zat, zwit." Try Froggy Gets Dressed. Or if you want a school themed book, try Froggy Goes to School.

Is Your Mama a Llama is another popular one in schools, and I thought it had a school themed spin-off. However, I just checked, and I was wrong. The one I'm thinking about was actually written by an entirely different author. It's still very popular, even if it wasn't a spin-off of the other famous book. It's called Llama Llama Misses Mama. It's about a Llama starting preschool.

There's Maisy Goes to Preschool. Maisy is another books series, this one about a mouse.

I've read Pinkalicious to preschoolers before despite it being a bit advanced. They like it. It also has a spin-off that is somewhat related to school called Purplicious.

If you're just looking for general pre-school aged books, that aren't school themed, some very popular ones are:

Goodnight Moon
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    The Napping House
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Corduroy
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
    Are You My Mother
    Green Eggs and Ham
    Pete's a Pizza
    The Monster at the End of this Book
    (It's a Grover Sesame Street book, and greatly under appreciated in my opinion. Children have had me read that one over and over and over and over ...)

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
    The Big Red Barn
    Have You Got My Purr?
    (I'm not really a fan of that one, but children really like it.)
    On that same note, The Pizza Cat is one I've had to read over and over that I didn't really like too much, but the children loved.
    The Soup Opera by Jim Gill. I don't think it's a super famous one yet, but it should be. It's addicting.
    Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
    Owl Babies
    The Mitten
    Duck on a Bike
    Tacky the Penguin
    Where's My Teddy?
    Fancy Nancy
    (Obviously geared toward girls but super popular.)
    Little Critter books such as I Was So Mad - Children like looking for the spiders and other bugs that appear on every page. It becomes a look and find book as well as a story.

Personally, I also am a big fan of Robert Munsch's books, and they can be used in a preschool classroom and beyond. He has at least one school themed book called We Share Everything!

I do not recommend The Kissing Hand. For some reason preschool teachers attempt to read this in their classrooms frequently, especially at the beginning of the year, and it's too long and boring. It's better suited for older children. It's a good example of how not to make your preschool book. The same thing is true for The Polar Express. Most preschoolers just do not have the attention span for books like that.

In general, good preschool aged books are short and snappy. A lot of them use rhythm, rhyme, and repetition to keep children's attention. Usually they are educational in some sense, if not in an academic sense, then in a social skills/emotions sense. The ones that aren't educational are typically just plain goofy, and children like that. Anything about kittens, puppies, or underwear seem to grab their attention. :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Okon and aikoaiko like this.
  6. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

Oh, and I also second that not liking Skippyjon Jones books. They're so hard to read. I think he's supposed to be a cat, but then at one time I thought he was a chihuahua. It's so weird. :confused:

7. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

He is a cat who sometimes thinks he is a chihuahua. (Obviously!) :cool: Just one of the reasons I don't really like it, in addition to the attempted Spanish accent, which is borderline offensive.

BookLover likes this.
  8. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

William Joyce's Guardians of Childhood series: The Man in the Moon, The Sandman, also by the same author The Flying Books of Morris Lessmoore.
    Imagine a Night
    Imagine a Day
    Imagine a Place
    Where Have All the Unicorns Gone
    The Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were
    The Story of Ping
    Down, Down the Mountain
    Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
    The Elephant and Piggie series
    The Numberlys
    Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
    The Next Place
    The Llama Llama series
    Lemony Snicket's: The Dark
    The Wide Mouth Frog
    Steve Jenkin's: Actual Size
    The Mysteries of Harris Burdick
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret
    The Lady in the Water
    The Spider and the Fly
    Ain't Gonna Paint No More
    Edward Fudwhupper Fibbed Big
    Journey
    Zen Shorts
    Where's Waldo
    Not a Moose
    Marcelle the Shell
    Don't Push the Button
    The Water Hole
    Pinduli

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  9. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Senior Member

Excellent list! You know your childrens' books!:)

BookLover likes this.
  10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I always loved the Frances books, illustrated by Lillian Hoban.

aikoaiko likes this.
  11. aqsmorningview

I went to the library recently and read quite a few of these that you all have mentioned.One you didn't was one called "the day the crayons quit" which I just loved.I wanted to read all sorts of books to kinda get me over my writers block and it helped.and my book is about when I went preschool.Thank you all for the help.

12. Nooshi

Nooshi Member

These are a bit darker than the average children's picture book, but my little sister used to love Shaun Tan's The Red Tree. The Lost Thing and The Arrival are lovely too. One of my favourite illustrated children's books was The Magic Pudding. I also loved Animalia by Graham Base, and my sister adored Gordon Finchett's 'The Twelve Princesses' (it has an all duck cast, and the illustrations are beautiful).

13. aqsmorningview

i read quite a few books thanx everyone and I have now finished my book I was working on you can look for it here if your interested http://www.blurb.com/b/5527641-ty-s-preschool-adventure