1. NWOmessiah

NWOmessiah New Member

Suggestion from a new member...

Discussion in 'Writing Contests' started by NWOmessiah, Sep 1, 2016.

It appears participation is a problem with the contests....both entries and voting? Am I right on that? Maybe my perception is screwed because the whole thing is thrown off by the 10th anniversary contest.

Either way...

I am just eager to get involved and was a bit disappointed when I noticed that all contests seem dead. And there are no new contests announced.

Here's and idea:

Change to Monthly or Bi-Monthly contests......bi-weekly is a bit much to handle..especially if not enough participation.

2. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

I can't speak for anyone else, but I avoid the contests because I don't write short stories, flash fiction or any other short form. I'm not a snob or anything; it just seems impractical to me to write something specifically for a contest when I wouldn't ordinarily write anything shorter than novel-length.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

Currently only the poetry is running - i'm not sure what the issue is with the others they stopped for the 10yr and didnt restart, @Wreybies was the main man so he can probably give us the full SP

4. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

No, actually, Wreybies is also waiting on Daniel (the owner) to decide the format he wants to have the contests in since the last heated discussion on this topic. To be frank (or ted or bill or tommy) I kept my fingers out of that one.

cydney likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

Fairy muff ...

6. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

If you want to be a writer you should want to participate in writing in anyway you can. The more you write the better you're bound to get at it. Also I feel having the set guidelines of the contests can help motivate you to actually get a piece of writing done faster than writing a novel. Having some smaller pieces of writing can be useful for putting in a portfolio and also to show others how well you can write when applying for a job.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Participation has never been an issue. Quality entries has not been a problem. A shortage of voters has been the only problem.

cydney likes this.
  8. cydney

cydney Banned

I voted! :)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  9. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Contributing Member

Mmh, not sure about that statement. There's different type of writers. Some are poets others write novels. There's also different genres and not everyone is interested in the entire spectrum. A portfolio... not sure what type of job you're applying for in which exerts from a forum writing contest would be considered useful.

I personally don't feel that the writing contests are anything but a hobby. It'd be a different story if it was published or had a monetary reward.

Edit: I agree that it should be less often if participation is dropping. I think monthly is the most realistic.

Spencer1990 and BayView like this.
  10. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I agree with @ToBeInspired... forcing oneself to write short stories if they aren't an area of interest doesn't make sense to me. And I don't think there are many jobs for which a portfolio of short stories would be useful...

Tenderiser and Spencer1990 like this.
  11. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

Some of these authors have been writing their 'novels' for a very long time. I cannot be alone in suspecting foul play/fakery. A purge, or backlash is inevitable in the course of time history. These people, some say they should be forced to cough up a haiku, an erotic paragraph, anything faintly worthy and word-related. Otherwise, I foresee a future when 'novelists' are offered merely 'associate membership' of the writing party. I welcome your thoughts.

12. matwoolf

sacrilege and philistine, you 'paperback writer,' ew.

13. BayView

Surely a collection of varied and erudite posts on a writers' forum should be adequate for your purposes?

Spencer1990 likes this.
  14. matwoolf

...plus the avatars, the advertising, and the Christmas party. Package is entirely adequate.

15. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributing Member

Not saying this is for everyone but for me personally, I've found writing all kinds of things to be helpful. I've found poetry to help my imagery. I've found short stories to help my economy in descriptions and characterization. I found the novel I wrote to be utter shit a good learning experience. I recently finished my first screenplay and I've learned a lot about that medium.

That said, I don't think that someone who is not interested in other types of writing should go out of their way to do it. I find myself very interested in it all. And the fact that I like it all makes it beneficial to me. I do agree that it's not required and there are other ways to learn the things I've learned. That was just one way that worked for me.

Tenderiser, BayView and GingerCoffee like this.
  16. BayView

Yeah, for sure, if it works for you, it's great. I just don't buy the "you should want to" aspect of things.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  17. Spencer1990

You're right. No one should want to do anything they don't want to do. I guess it's just hard to know what could be gained without doing it. Like I never had much interest in poetry until I wrote a poem, read some poetry, and experienced first hand how it could help my prose. I'm all about experimentation and discovery in writing. That said, at some point, I will probably abandon most of the mediums in which I tinker when I figure out what it is that I want to do exactly.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  18. BayView

But someone who already knows what exactly they want to do can skip over the tinkering stage, right?

Ten years from now if they decide they want to write short stories, they can go and learn how to write short stories. Or poetry, or whatever.

Different types of writing aren't going anywhere. If someone's pretty sure of the type they want to work on, I don't think they need to work on another type just to experiment.

19. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Not sure why anyone is talking about forcing oneself to write anything. I wrote the short stories here because I was inspired to. Don't know why, it was a spur of the moment thing. Two of them were inspired by my travels and I've always wanted to put some of those experiences down on paper. It had nothing to do with trying to pad a portfolio. Submitting the stories for publication came later on a whim.

That said, I didn't read @theoriginalmonsterman's post as saying everyone should write stories for the contests. I thought it was more of a general pep talk (he can correct me if I'm wrong) and a defense of contest themes and categories.

All that sounds reasonable to me.

Not sure what job one would apply for, I looked into whether to mention or not mention my short story publications in my query letter for my novel. Half the sources said a query without past published work would not keep a publisher or agent from taking you on. And half said you needed to say where you were published if you were going to cite your work. In other words, it mattered more if the publications were noteworthy and not worth much if they weren't.

That doesn't matter to me. The fact someone said my stories were good enough for their publications was a satisfying thing. It's a nice ego boost the stories won the contests in this forum. It's not going to get my book published. But it does give me the confidence to keep going.

LinnyV, Sack-a-Doo! and Spencer1990 like this.
  20. Spencer1990

Yes. I would be a fool to argue that point. If [person] has a solid view for their future, tinkering in the way that I am could easily be a huge waste of time.

GingerCoffee and BayView like this.
  21. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I think this is the only problematic sentence, and the rest of TOM's post makes perfect sense. I mean, I have no desire to write screenplays or advertising copy or "10 Top Lifehacks" articles for clickbait websites, and I don't think that makes me less of a writer.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  22. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I guess I'll use this thread to mention that I'd like to start the flash fiction contest in two weeks. Hopefully people are still interested in that and can respond to my questions here. :whistle:

23. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributing Member Contributor

If someone was applying to me for a copywriting position, a portfolio of short stories - especially in a variety of styles - would be a really useful thing to see. I don't honestly care how much you know about persuasion, that's relatively easy to teach. Teaching someone to write well is a bastard, so proving you've got that skill already is a great way of getting my attention.

That's pretty niche, though. And I doubt every agency would look for the same things I would in a new hire.

LinnyV and GingerCoffee like this.
  24. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Contributing Member

Now I agree.