1. Georgew

Georgew New Member

"Dear Diary" - A redundent way to begin a passage in your diary/journal?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Georgew, Mar 12, 2011.

Do any of you guys still use that age old opener?

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

You could always give the diary a proper name.

Dear Sam...

Dear Mr. Book...

Etc. :)

3. Georgew

Georgew New Member

Wow, I genuinely didn't think of that. I shall have to think of a name.

Thanks!

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Anne Frank called her diary Kitty - Dear Kitty

5. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I think most of us post modern people would just the phrase as a double or triple irony.

6. Xander

Xander New Member

Does it become strange if we elevate "Dear Diary" and start writing the entries as though talking to a real person? Or is that the idea? I.e. "I feel like this because of this...how could such happen?" Not full double dialogue, but questions even?

Or does that get way to strange?

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yuck!

why would any salutation be necessary or make sense at all?... when writing a diary, you're really writing to yourself, as if 'thinking out loud' on paper, aren't you?... and when lying in bed, thinking over the day's events, do you start out saying 'dear self'?... or just begin thinking, period, with no preamble?

same thing goes for if you're telling someone else about your day... do you start out saying, 'dear mom/hubby' every time and then go on to tell her/him what happened at school/work that day?... or do you just say something like, 'guess what i did today?'...

and, btw, anne frank didn't call her diary 'kitty'... 'kitty' was only one of a slew of names she used in addressing her diary entries, in the original handwritten one...

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I've been writing diaries since I was 7, and have always started with "Dear Diary" and ended with "love Julie". It's like I'm writing a secret letter to myself. Sometimes I think it's weird, but it's a habit, and I don't want to stop it now. I don't see anything wrong about starting with Dear Diary since that's what a lot of people do, but personalizing it will make it stand out a bit more (dunno whether that's good or bad).

9. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Its your diary you can do whatever you please. Whether you address the diary as such or not would be completely up to you. From my understanding a diary is a means to get things off of your chest. A friend that passes no judgement. Its a personal thing and should be handled in the way you want.

Well thats how I always viewed it.

10. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Agree with Unit7

There are no rules.
    Here's something to think about - do you expect your diary to be published some day?
    If the answer to this Q is 'yes' then by all means try your very best to get the format right.
    If the answer is 'no' then what does it matter? Just do whatever feels right to you.

Have you read any published diaries to see what they did. I think Samuel Peyps Diary and Queen Victoria's Journal might be worth a look.

11. joelpatterson

joelpatterson New Member

Anne Frank was following a convention she'd picked up from an earlier writer of the day, whose imaginary diary audience was named "Kitty" somehow... this is probably all explained in Wikipedia.

12. Ion

Ion New Member

I don't write in my journal like I would a letter. I write it for a future me or family. It reads more like a summary highlighting what I did or thought of during the day.