1. The_Rpg_Moogle

The_Rpg_Moogle New Member

Summing up in a novel

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by The_Rpg_Moogle, Jan 23, 2014.

Hi dear people!

It's been a while since I posted here, but I've got a technical question for you.
    What are the formatting rules for a summing up (I'm Dutch so forgive me if I write that wrong. Please correct me!) of things in a novel. This is used in this particular example for comedic effect. I will write down the example below:

You see, Eveline wasn't the sweetest girl, and that is a gross understatement. In fact, in order to illustrate my point, I will sum up the ten words most used by people when attempting to summarize her personality:

1. Cruel
    2. Bitch
    3. Witch (also commonly combined with the former to become 'witchbitch', a term devised specifically for her).
    4. Diva

I think you get the point. Now, could anyone tell me what would be the correct way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Joost

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the way you've shown it here would be the most sensible way, but the #3 additive is so long it would take up a couple of lines, which would mean you'd have to separate each of the numbered items with a line space...

and that long addition's second line should probably start under the first letter of the previous line, not the number...