1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Super Powers

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, Aug 28, 2008.

So, I also decided to make a superhero piece. However, I want it to be more real. The people with super powers will not fly or shoot fire: They will have keener reflexes, they'll be stronger, faster, they'll be able to jump long distances, in some cases read minds, and enter a trance mode where they can feel and hear everything in their surroundings. Their cells will also duplicate at accelerated rates when injureds, healing in a matter of hours. I have two problems here. Don't know how to call them (How society calls them, and how they call themselves) and I don't have a possible explanation explaining were they get their powers from. However, they 'unlock' their abilities when exposed to danger or an emotional outburst.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

So, their powers are essentially a defense mechanism when in danger. I'm guessing you don't want the "superheros" to be able to use them at will. Correct?

The only reason I can think of right now as to how they got their powers is an experiment gone wrong. Perhaps a company with a new product was trying it on a group of people and each person responded differently to the product, thus giving them these powers.

As for the names, I'm drawing a blank right now. Will post if I think of something good.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The good old human evolution theme is certainly tried and true.

Government experiment would be neat too. You could get a whole conspiracy going which would be sweet.

There's always the aliens angle, or the supernatural. I would suggest making some characters and deciding what kind of conflicts you want them to face. That may help you narrow down your options.

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Yeah, it works as a defense mechanism, but later on they can learn to control it through extensive training. As for the way they got their abilities... I want it to be more natural, it's a shame I don't know how the mind works and more about genetics.

5. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

That doesn't have to be true. Wikipedia explains shallowly how genetics work. As for the mind... That's really more about psychology which isn't as consistent as genetics. But give it a try.

6. Ungood

Ungood New Member

'freak' is always a good one. :)

"genetic abnormality" would also work, I see no problem with calling them 'mutants' if they are one, or calling them parahuman.

"Gifted" and "Special" are a great words to use as well.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I also like the term metahumans.

8. Night.Runner

Night.Runner New Member

"Others," is a good one, and I've heard of "Differents." I agree with Cog though; I like Metahumans as well.

9. Leo

Leo New Member

I like the idea of these 'mutants' also having 'curses' as well as powers.

So maybe some of the mutants are enhanced by the powers, and some are cursed, tortured, or disabled by them.

There's a film with Bruce Willis in along this theme, I think it's called "Unbreakable". In it, Bruce Willis is this 'superhero' who cannot be hurt or injured in any way. But as the direct opposite there is a guy who is incredible weak and fragile, but both are equally 'mutants'.

10. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Some name ideas may include things like Imperfects, or you can make up a word by adding ''Un"

As far as where they got it, you can make up anything you want!! you're the writer, there are tones of good ideas out there, and most of the people above have listed them, so no need for that.

11. Leo

Leo New Member

The only problem with he origins of super-powers is that most of them have already been done so much that they're too cliched.

But there must be ONE original idea out there... I just can't think of it...

12. Cogito

There is no such thing as a cliche idea. Words, phrases, even metaphors can be cliche.

What distinguishes a story element is not whether anyone has come up with its like before. It is distinbguished by how it is written.

13. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

From Dictionary.com for "cliche"

1. a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser, or strong as an ox.
    *** 2. (in art, literature, drama, etc.) a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc. ***

Maybe its your opinion that a plot or character element cant be called "cliche", but id say as long as it is listed in the dictionary that cliche can be a plot or some element of characterisation, you cant really be telling people they are *wrong* to say something is a cliche...

14. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Please note: Character Development, not concept, element or idea. This means how you express the Character, not the traits themselves. Again: IE: Strong as an Ox while the trait of being physically stronger then those around them is not a cliche. However "Strong as they are Dumb" may be if expressed in that manner.

I know everyone and their brother thinks that a list of traits or ideas is so "over done" and that is what a cliche is, but they are wrong.

I believe the word you are looking for is "Stereotype" or "Stereotypical", which many people use as synonymous with cliche.

IE: The Stereotypical Love Story is the correct way to express your disdain, calling it The cliche Love story is not.

15. ciavyn

ciavyn New Member

I vote for metahumans - and don't be afraid to look around the books stores. I found a book called "The Science of Vampires" in which the author interviews MEs, Forensics experts, scientists, etc. to figure out just how much of what common lore says vampires can do is actually scientifically possible. You'd be surprised how much of what you desire for your superheroes can be explained. Hurry up and get writing - I can't wait to read it! ;)

16. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Haha, thanks :)
    I'll probably start by the next week, right now I'm focusing on the characters and the city I invented for the story (Called Los Aires, based on Los Angeles).

17. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

OOOOO!!!!!

In the Static Shock series all the characters were gangsters from the first episode who were in a rumble when a huge gas tank exploded and gave 'em all super powers. They were called Bang Babies and the event was called big bang. you could make up something like that, not that idea. just a thought.

18. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

When I saw the word metahumans, I thought of Static Shock too XD
    I loved that show, but I haven't watched it in like 3-5 years...

19. Cogito

DC Comics has used the term metahumans since sometime in yhe 1990's (perhaps even earlier). It turns up a number of times in the Wallace West Flash series that began after Crisis.

20. Kratos

Kratos New Member

That sounds a lot like my Gifted. Their powers are based on blood types.

Type A- Physically stronger
    Type B- Senses are greatly enhanced
    Type AB- Mind sends out waves to read and control other minds
    Type O- Can manipulate the human body through touch, usually to heal