1. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Giuliani and Baseball

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by (Mark), Feb 11, 2008.

Rudy Guliani rooted for the Red Sox last year. He was the mayor of New York City. If that's not hypocrisy, I don't know what is...

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's misleading. He favored the Red Sox only after the Yankees were eliminated. He was favoring the remaining East Coast team.

New York City being what it is, they ignored that little fact and raked him over the coals in the press.

3. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

He claimed that he was rooting for the Red Sox as they're an American League team and he's a fan of the American League.

If he were really a Yankees fan, he would have gone against the Red Sox and possibly the Indians. He should have declared support for Colorado, because they were the ones facing Boston in the Series.

4. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Yeah. Also, who cares?

5. lessa

lessa New Member

Seriously, what do sports have to do with running the country.
    If the man wants to say he supports the left handed kids in a marble tournament who really cares.
    I live in Canada and I will not cheer for any american team in the NHL. does that mean I am anti-american. I sure hope not.
    sports is a leisure activity and should not be brought for or against someone's ability to run a city or a country.

6. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Haha, I hope you guys don't think that I judged Giuliani solely off of what baseball team he roots for.

7. Cogito

I moved this out of the Republican Primary thread. It's irrelevant to that thread, and potentially inflammatory. If flames ignite here, the thread with be sealed.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I'm not a baseball fan. I don't get it? Whats wrong with the Mayor of New York rooting for the Sox? Explaination please :confused:.

9. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

While he was mayor of New York, he claimed that he was a Yankees fan. When you're a fan of the Red Sox or the Yankees, you can't just flip-flop between them. It's like claiming to be a devout Christian your entire life, and then pledging your allegiance to a different religion one day, completely out of the blue.

10. Cogito

When your team has been eliminated, it's just fine to cheer for whomever is left. Granted that the rivalry between the Sox and the Yankees is particularly bitter, but calling it hypocrisy is uncalled for.

Keep it in perspective - baseball is only a game.

11. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

It appears that my fanaticism regarding baseball knows no bounds. As a fan of the Yankees, it would be hypocrisy for me to support Boston in any way. So, I suppose I saw it in that light.