Superheroes!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yellowm&M, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Mainly due to the way he'll interogate people (for example: hanging someone over the side of a building and threatening to let go if they don't give him good answers).

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I've always seen him as a darker shade of super hero but not an outright anti hero like Deadpool, Punisher, Lobo, etc.

3. apathykills

apathykills New Member

Wait, can batman be called a super hero?

He doesn't have any super powers; he's just your average bloke in a cape and a large bank account. If bill gates put on a cape and mask i wouldn't call him a super hero.

I'm with you on the deadpool and lobo, but the punisher doesn't kill innocents.

In fact he makes it a rule to live by never to harm anyone that doesn't deserve it; so i wouldn't call him an anti hero.

4. rory

rory Active Member

He-Man! Wow it's been a long time. I think I still have the action figure (where the chest rotates to show damage) and Battle Cat somewhere.

5. wonderxwhy

wonderxwhy New Member

To be random: There was a superhero in Japan who had magical nose-hair.

Now that i've grossed everyone out: I agree with apathykills. I've always wondered that about Batman. Anyone with a pile of money and some kind of insane "save the world" complex can be Batman. He's not a superhero, though he is an insanely cool guy. And I will not deny that Dark Knight is awesome.

6. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Batman's part of the broader category costumed heroes.

7. Islander

Hm... was that Superboy? Wasn't it the aged Superman from Earth-2? It's a little blurry in my mind...

What I'm above all tired of is DC trying to fix their continuity with a re-write of the timeline, breaking even more things, which requires another rewrite, ad nauseam...

8. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Nah, it was Superboy from Earth Prime.

9. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I thought Superboy was just Superman in his teenage years, or am I wrong?

10. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

No, but before superboy *ahem* punched *ahem* reality, the DC universe had countless alternate universes. One of them was Earth prime (which was exactly like ours, but with superboy). After the destruction of the multiverse, this alternate superboy was incarcerated in some kind of paradise, and while he was there, he punched reality.

Simple, eh?

IIRC, of course.

11. sprb_skrbblz

sprb_skrbblz Active Member

at least they try...

12. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yeah, but they lack style. A punch isn't going to satisfy fans. Now, look at how marvel does it: A previously established character who was already insane and already had the ability to warp reality did so.

13. sprb_skrbblz

sprb_skrbblz Active Member

yea... correct on both accounts... not to mention marvel usually has a little message in their comics... dc has an abundance of tight wearing pretty boys who just recently really struggled in their books, fight-wise... before only people like booster gold would die... we knew his ass was done...

14. Islander

No no, the alternate universes of DC Comics disappeared during Crisis on Infinite Earths (mid-80s), through the actions of the anti-monitor. The Earth-1 and Earth-2 timelines melded into one, while the others were essentially destroyed. At the same time, large parts of the timeline was retroactively changed - for example, in the surviving universe, Superman's powers were much smaller and he didn't gain them until his teens.

This caused so many continuity errors, they had to rewrite the timeline in Zero Hour (1994). This time an established, heroic character snapped and gained the power to destroy and recreate the universe. He intended to recreate a perfect universe, but the other heroes stopped him and let the universe be recreated almost exactly the same way it was. I'm not sure the right guys won...

Then the DC editors apparently fell asleep at their job again, and the writers managed to contradict each other multiple times. By now, they had realised how lucrative the "crisis" concept was, so when they wrote Infinite Crisis in 2005, they made sure to prequel it with Identitiy Crisis and plan a sequel crisis as early as 2008.

Final Crisis featured some left-over characters from the universes that had been destroyed during Crisis on Infinite Earths (Superboy from Earth Prime, Superman from Earth-2, and Alexander Luthor from Earth-3). Alexander Luthor suddenly decided to act out of character and become a villain for no better reason than "on all earths where there have been a Luthor and a Superman, they've been at odds with each other" - never mind that in the universe he originated from, his father was a hero, while Hyperman, Superman's Earth-3 counterpart, was a villain. Alexander Luthor then goes on to manipulate Earth-2 Superman and Superboy Prime into doing his evil bidding (which makes them act almost as much out of character).

Meanwhile, the readers were suffering from Crisis of Infinite Cross-overs, a condition that is characterised by nausea, weariness, cynicism, and a cramp in the thumb and index finger causing an inability to open one's wallet. That didn't stop DC from releasing a sequel as early as 2008, Final Crisis, which I haven't read.

/rant off

15. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

wow. you guys are like, comic veterans

16. sideofko

sideofko New Member

Though technically not a superhero, I really enjoyed the Preacher comics. They were really gritty, and full of full and complex characters.

17. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

Oh, someone revived a thread I hadn't notice... yet have to post in now that I've seen it. She wasn't quite a hero, but my idol growing up was Catwoman. :D I still have all my comics from childhood - the ones drawn by Jim Balent, when Catwoman had her own series... before the style was changed dramatically, and I had to find a new comic to latch onto.

Gambit was one of my earliest fictional crushes. They're also one of the major reasons I can't stand the movie version of Rogue. A Rogue without her Remy? Nonsense and blasphemous lies! Enough with Iceman. Was the fanbase for Iceman really larger than the fanbase for Gambit? Wtf were you thinking comic to movie screenwriter people? Wtf?

And last, but certainly not least...

[​IMG]

There's about a 99.9% chance I'm going to loathe this new Wolverine movie, isn't there. That two of my favorite characters were cast to look like Abercrombie and Fitch models... makes me worry.

18. apathykills

apathykills New Member

stay positive, i think ryan will make a good deadpool (watch "Waiting" to see why).

to be honest i'm somewhat apathetic towards this one. i really loved the first x-men movie, but the rest were just... meh.

i do hate the fact they change deadpools history but I won't mind that much if it makes the movie better.

you should read punisher max and metropolitan, both are good adult oriented comics.

19. Penny Dreadful

I'm not getting my hopes up. I got my hopes up with the Catwoman movie, and look what happened there. Fool me once, shame on you and all that...

I've seen Waiting. I would be all right with Van Wilder playing Deadpool if the screenshots weren't all of him looking pretty and out-of-costume. I've seen the pictures that are, supposedly, of scarred Deadpool... but, it really just looks like Baraka from the Mortal Kombat games to me.

Even if I get Baraka!Deadpool halfway through the movie... I might be avoiding this one until I read reviews.

In the meantime, I'll put all my hopes on Watchmen. :p Rorschach is almost similar to Deadpool, right? ... You know, in a completely not at all similar way? All right, no... but I still can't wait to see it. :D

20. apathykills

apathykills New Member

can't say, i still haven't read watchmen (somewhere on the back of my to-do list) and deadpool is actually good looking... you know... with the mask on.

21. Penny Dreadful

Like V for Vendetta, I'm guessing I might like the Watchmen movie more than the comic. I don't care what Alan Moore says - some comics were just meant to be movies.

Hey, if the Phantom of the Opera could pull the sexy yet deformed card, so can Deadpool.

22. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Batman is the absolute best, end of. I've gotten into hour long arguments about this, LOL. I especially dislike Superman, and have also been known to go off into rants about how lame and unheroic I actually find him to be. Spiderman is OK in my book, though he has his setbacks character-wise. I've always been such a big Batman buff since I was a kid. I stick by him through and through. :)

I'm such a nerd when it comes to this! I follow way too many comic book stories. I'm probably the only girl my age that I know that's actually into this kind of stuff, like really into it, ha. Right now, mostly because of the upcoming release, I'm getting into the Watchmen all over again.

No way! I mean, sort of agreed on V but the Watchmen graphic novel is BRILLIANT. The first time I bought it and read it, I was a little skeptical, but the writing opens up a lot for you intectually and the illustration is so detailed, each time I reread it I come over something different I didn't notice before. I definitely suggest buying it (I think you can find it for as low as 10 bucks?) and giving it a read. I'm rereading it right now in order to refresh for the movie. :)

23. Penny Dreadful

I wasn't blown away by Watchmen. I've reread it a few times, but... meh. Yes, a classic and yes, a great read - but just a little full of itself too.

Anyway, just got back from SC where I tracked down a comic store :D. Spent a lot of money on the pretty, glossy-paged graphic novel versions of Cable & Deadpool. It definitely made the long ride home much more enjoyable.

24. apathykills

apathykills New Member

you know reading this made me wonder how many people around this forum only know super heroes from movies and tv-shows (like me).

I mean i loved most of the batman movies (except; "batman and robin" and "batman returns") and the animated tv-show but i can't get into batman comics.

I loved the Spiderman movies and the tv-show, but I couldn’t get into his comic books.

infect i can't think of a single "true" super hero comic book i liked, even deadpool is not really a super-hero.

Has anyone else had this experience?
    Why do you think this is?

25. Scuba

Scuba New Member

I think that batman and superman top my charts.