Superheroes!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yellowm&M, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

Hehehe, Catwoman and Rorschach :love:

Unfortunately, Wolverine kinda falls into that Superman category for me - not the annoying, all powerful thing... but that he's so popular without having much beyond a somewhat predictable personality. I don't dislike him. I just think there are better characters people overlook.

I can do without the angsty. I think that's why I've pretty much quit (in the loosest sense of the word) DC. Too much darkness and angsty'ness.... and coming from me, that's saying a lot.

I like my characters only somewhat angsty - like Harley Quinn (SO happy they decided to put her in the comics) or Gambit or my wonderful, new avatar :D. Though, to be fair, he's probably only 10% angst - give or take 5%, depending on what arc you're reading. Heck, he might be a little dark too. I mean, he did sort of date Death. That's dark, right?

I do love Lex Luthor as well, but is there a cannon version of him? I got so confused skipping around different DC comics and seeing all these different yet non-AU versions of Lex.

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I don't remember where I read it but the guy said: "I stopped reading Marvel when they started putting Wolverine on the covers of comics on which he didn't actually appear."

Not really. Death herself is pretty upbeat, isn't she? This is the same Death of the Endless from Sandman, right?

Lex Luthor basically hates Superman for being smarter (really) and more powerful than himself, and rationalizes it into Superman stopping the human race from advancing intellectually (which he does).

PS: Harley Quinn rocks.

3. Penny Dreadful

Well, I was kidding - dark in the sense that she's the personification of death. She was definitely no Sandman Death - who I also loved and who Voltaire wrote a very upbeat and catchy song about - which I mention because it is now stuck in my head :rolleyes:

I wish I could find the old Batman cartoon on tv these days. I realize there have been dozens of animated Batman incarnations, but I just can't get into them.

4. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Ha, I didn't get it signed. I got this off google images. :)

5. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

WonderWoman! I had the Wonder Woman underwear set when I was a kid.

6. BG_Hambone

BG_Hambone New Member

Somewhere beyond happiness and sadness, a place to
    STUPENDOUS MAN is my favorite.

ya know..

from Calvin and Hobbes

[​IMG]

7. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

HAHAHA! I used to read that! :D

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Lex Luther will always have a place in my heart. Anyone who makes things more difficult for goody two shoes Superman is cool in my book.

And I have to agree with the dark but not so much angsty characters being my favorite. Give me a superhero with a bit of a dark soul, someone who you kind of wonder how they decided to be a good guy in the first place...that's the kind I like. People who started good and have always been the straight arrow just aren't as fun to read about.

And PS, I have a barbie doll of Harley Quinn. If I could be her, I so would be. Well...maybe not, but she's still cool.

9. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Yeah, Static Shock is back on again and I realize some of the comments that Skribbles was saying about it. Yeah it has a lot of cheesy kiddy themes, but it's still good. There was even a sexual reference in one of the early episodes. I've been reading Watchmen lately and I'm impressed with it. It was definitely not what I expected. I hope the movie next week will be great although, it seems difficult for me to see them doing it justice as long as the novel is.

10. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I think I'm the only major Batman fan ever to feel this way, but I think Harley is way overrated. Don't get me wrong, I like her.... hey, I have a t-shirt of her that I proudly sport around; I think she was an awesome addition to BTAS, but I just don't get all of the constant Harley praise and hype. I just think she's one of those characters that gets too much positive acclaim from fans. It sort of makes me want to be anti-Harley.... which I guess is what I'm doing here, lol. Maybe I'm weird, I dunno. Probably some of both.

btw, I'm mostly talking about super die hard Harley Quinn fans.... which I've seen on a ton of Batman forums/boards/topics/whatever.

11. hiddennovelist

I kind of feel that way about Spiderman...

12. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Eh, I like Spiderman fine enough. I think the thing I like about him most is that he's probably the most endearing superhero. And I mean that in a sort of, um, puppy dog way? I sort of even... feel sorry for him. Peter Park is just very quirky and witty, and I think that's what I like most about the whole Spiderman storyline. He's definitely in my top ten of fav comic book characters even if I diss him sometimes; that's usually because I'm forced to choose between him and someone I like much better (like Batman).

13. hiddennovelist

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with Spiderman until I discovered that he was so much more popular than the X-Men, who I, personally, think are way cooler than he is. And then the Spiderman movies came out, and no offense to anyone who likes them, but I thought they were terrible, so that sort of turned what was previously a small problem with him into burning dislike. Which, now that I think about it, doesn't really seem fair, because I thought the X-Men movies were kind of terrible, too.

14. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I like both the Spiderman and X-Men movies. But I take them as face value, I don't like compare them to the comics too much, because I recognize it's going to be different no matter what. I like them for entertainment purposes.

15. hiddennovelist

See, that is my downfall, not only with comic book movies, but with movies like Harry Potter...anything based on something written, really. No matter how hard I try to go into it with the understanding that it's going to be different, I can't help but compare them, and the books always, always, ALWAYS come out on top. Sigh...the third X-Men is the worst for me. Usually, after a couple viewings I can reconcile myself to the differences, but every time I watch that movie, it makes me mad.

16. Penny Dreadful

That's not true :(. There are plenty of movies most people consider to be better than their written counterparts... but, I do agree that the third X-men movie was incredibly bad. The first two were fun, and I enjoy all three Spider-man movies, (yes, even the third one) but if I had been in the theatre for that third X-men movie - I think I might have walked out.

Yet another reason my expectations for Origins are so low.

17. hiddennovelist

Not only did I sit through all of the third X-Men in a theater, it was a midnight showing, and then I had to work at six the next morning...that wasn't a happy day for me.

18. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

Batman's my favourite, in both film and print...yes he's been portrayed awfully before (Adam West, though that was fun at the same time) but can be amazing too...Dark Knight (film) and Dark Knight returns (comic) or Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth (comic)

19. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I'm the exact opposite. I can watch a movie based on something written and be okay with the fact that the movie is going to be different. I used to be a big Harry Potter fan back in the day, and I remember when everyone was bashing POA and what not for some of the major plot differences... even GOF. It really didn't bother me. A lot of people get so nitpicky it ends up ridiculous. I just like movies for entertainment purposes. As far as written vs. on-screen, I mostly agree.... but two cases I think where it's TIED (just off the top of my head) are the Shining and Fight Club. I loved both novels and loved both films equally. I can't choose which is better, both are brill. There are a few other I'm blanking on.

....so yes, to get back on topic, I am one of those that ENJOYED movies like X-Men 3 (and I saw it in theaters lol) and Spiderman 3. The only superhero movie I really detested and was close to walking out on was the new Fantastic Four movie with the Silver Surfer. Now THAT movie, in my opinion, totally sucked. No saving grace about it. And I'm usually not difficult to please action movie-wise but..... suck.

20. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

a lot of people hate Spider-Man 3, and i feel it's because of it's jumbled up feeling. everything is happening at once with no real structure... that's what happens when Hollywood forces directors to do things they don't want to do. it ends up sucking. /angryface

I just hate the X-Men movies in general because with each installment, Cyclops' importance was lessened, ultimately killing him within like... what? 15 minutes? ridicarous. he's the freakin leader, not Logan. but X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be awesome for one simple reason.

Gambit.

21. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Looking forward to Gambit also. Was so pissed he wasn't included in the original X-MEN movies.... and Jubilee too. WTFWTFWTF.

As for Cyclops, I can't stand him. He's sort of like the Superman of the X-MEN, as in he's so cheesy and one note and boring. I'm not interested in him one bit. I couldn't care less. The only other character I despise more than him is Jean Grey. I'm not going to go there, though, because I will just end up ranting for like.... paragraphs upon paragraphs.

22. UnknownBearing

Jubilee was actually in the X-men movies, as one of the mansion students. her appearances are so minor however, that it's hard to spot unless you're looking.

the only place where Gambit was referenced was in X2, when Mystique is breaking into Stryker's computer, and a list of mutants appears. you can see "Remy LeBeau" on that list.

is your hate of Cyclops coming from the comics or the movies or both?

23. TyroScribe

TyroScribe New Member

Superman is the coolest of all the superheroes in my opinion.

24. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Actually, I knew about Jubilee's LESS than minor part in X-MEN. I don't consider that worthy of mention, lol.

Didn't know that about Gambit, though. That's interesting. Out of the 3 X-MEN movies, I've seen X2 the least so ha.

As for Cyclops, I just dislike him in general. His personality remains pretty similar in every interpretation of him. He's boring. I wonder if he and Clark Kent are related.

25. UnknownBearing

James Marsden the actor who plays Cyclops in the X-Men movie also played in Bryan Singer's (director of X-Men) "Superman Returns" as Lois Lane's husbandly boyfriend.

so... kinda.