1. Nicole Peanutbar

Nicole Peanutbar New Member

An introduction of sorts.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nicole Peanutbar, Sep 19, 2016.

My name is Nicole, and I'm lactose intolerant.
    Great, now that THAT'S out of the way, let's talk about why I'm here.

I've been meaning to join into a community of writers for some time now, without actually having done so due to reality smacking me in the face a bit too much these past years.

I would love to get some writing friends though. I'll read yours if you read mine, if you know what I mean.

Reading and writing are two of the greatest things in the world, and I'm just here to network with fellow writers and hone my craft! Feel free to say hi!

PGWhyte likes this.
  2. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Welcome Nicole. It's always great to have other people to bounce ideas off of. Looking forward to sharing ideas!

Nicole Peanutbar likes this.
  3. Nicole Peanutbar

Thank you, thank you!

Albeit likes this.
  4. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member

Hi Nicole and welcome :superhello:

What genres do you read/write in?

Nice to see others taking the plunge and joining us here.

Phil

5. Nicole Peanutbar

I've spent a lifetime nose diving into fantasy and fiction. Fantasy always has and always will be my favourite. I believe the fairy tales I was told as a child were a gateway to more intricate things haha.
    I've always written fantasy, some philosophy (because I have so many ideas and opinions on the world), and I have a soft spot for anything horror. True crime, history, etc. As long as it's... Horrific.

Sometimes I'll read educational things, like medical textbooks I inherited from my mother, or science textbooks I inherited from my grandparents.
    When my dad passed away I read all of his books as a form of closure, to feel like I still had a little bit more time with him. It was a lot of Stephen King novels and books focusing on religious conspiracies. I liked most of them. There are a lot of Stephen King novels though that I just can't sit down to read again, they don't grip me like a good fantasy novel.

What about you?

PGWhyte likes this.
  6. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member

Sorry to hear about your father.
    Well, when i was growing up, I didn't read much. But i remember watching Lord of the Rings many moons ago and talking about it in work. My colleague stated the books were better. I was intrigued, so went to the local book store and bought them. Read them over a weekend and was amazed.
    I went on to read various novels, Crime/Thriller (Michael Connollys Bosch). After watching the walking dead, I got hooked on Horror/Apocalyptic novels.

Thats where i get my inspiration from really. Hopefully, I'll delve into writing fantasy once my current work is done. Who knows?

7. Nicole Peanutbar

My family was never one to watch movies often. It was a nice treat, but a bit on the expensive side for it to be a regular experience. Books, on the other hand, were ALWAYS available.
    In Kindergarten I cried and pitched a fit because my mom wouldn't let me take my favourite Encyclopedia Britannica issue to school with me. I didn't have many friends growing up, but tons and tons of books to submerge myself into.
    I think it made up for it haha.

I would love to read some of your work! Is there anything freely available? (I'm all for supporting authors, obviously. But I'm on a budget for the next 3 months that I can't bend out of!)

Are you familiar with the book The Black Donnellys? It's a book written by Thomas Kelley and it's one of my absolute favourites in true crime.
    Not only is it local to me, but it hits home with the Irish heritage, as a lot of both sides of my family are Irish. Seriously LOVE the book. Tried to watch the show a few times, just couldn't get into it.

PGWhyte likes this.
  8. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member

I seem to be the opposite...had many a friend growing up, now not so many (i hung with the wrong crowd).

Im currently working on a novella, i post bits n pieces from it on my website or twitter, feel free to have a browse.

I'll bookmark the Thomas Kelley book, currently reading a Stephen Knights Gathering Dead series. Trying to get some inspiration for the genre.

Are you on twitter?