1. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

What frustrats you the most about writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by chandler245, May 29, 2009.

I will go first, it frustrates me to write and feel that I am on to something and it's like I have hit a wall. I go back and read everything, hoping that there is someway to get out of it. I go to my revision and I look at them and I don't like them and it makes my want to do it all over agian. But that would be a waist, and I don't know how to handle this. I would love to hear other peoples Ideas and what they are sturrgling on. HELP:eek:

2. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    What frustrates me the most about writing is myself. The main thing is that although I've finished my novel, I cannot make myself go back and make the changes I know need to be made.

3. Kas

Kas New Member

I sit down to write, get maybe 500-1000 words down.. I'm really on a roll.. things are flowing smoothly. But then one thought leads to another and I find myself thinking about something that happens 20 chapters later. Over the course of half an hour I rework chapters 25 and 26 in my head, though I still have yet to put any of that to paper. By the time I'm satisfied with my alterations to the middle/end of my book I've entirely lost track of what I set out to work on (chapter 5). Then I have to reread everything I've written so far to get back in the groove. Happens every time!

On the plus side this kind of forces me to edit as I go, (as I notice most stupid mistakes on the reread and complusively fix them) which means that when a chapter is done, it's done. :)

4. vanhunks

vanhunks New Member

My pencilled notes refusing to transplant themselves on my computer screen. Latest story is a case in point. Just can't seem to get to writing it, although the story *is* complete on paper...

vanhunks

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

The most frustrating thing about writing for me is when I get into the mood where all I want to do is write, but when I sit down with my notebook and pen, I just stare at the blank page and can't come up with a single thing to write.

GAH.

6. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

The thing that frustrates me the most is that I can outline a perfectly decent story. Then when I actually write, it's thousands of words of aimless dialogue and narration.

7. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I get frustrated when I re-write, there is always that little bit that you can never be satisfied with and it bugs the hell out of me.

8. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

The nice part of bouncing around is that the peicies will fall together, like a puzzle. Get the book down, bounce around while writing and it will fall into place, then do the revisions. ;):p

9. starseed

starseed New Member

Having been awake for over 24 hours, cracked out of my mind on caffeine, every muscle in my body aching from being hunched over the computer, and STILL flowing. That is the only thing that really frustrates me about writing. When I have to stop because my body needs rest.

10. AngeloBraxton

AngeloBraxton New Member

I hate it when I can't think of an ending. That drives me crazy!

11. JGraham

JGraham New Member

As of now, there is only one thing that frustrates me. The fact that i am so close to the end of my Novel and i just wont do it. For whatever reason, but i think it is because i have spent almost a year on this one novel and i do not want it to end. I have grown so attached to my characters and their lives that i feel like ending it will be betraying them. Maybe i am just crazy, but this is the frustration i am going through.

12. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

That there are only twenty-four hours a day in which to write. To have time to write all my ideas (fiction and non-fiction) I would have to life to be two thousand years old and never do anything but write.

That's the frustrating part, knowing there are so many ideas I'll never have time to work through.

13. starseed

starseed New Member

Oh man, this is ME. Exactly! I don't get how people run out of ideas because I will definitely not live long enough to write all of mine. :(

14. littleparisdress

littleparisdress New Member

Losing a train of thought and getting so bogged down by the worry of not being able to continue writing that you just say no.

15. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Having to organise and sometimes translate the oral tales that provide the information for the world I've recreated in my story, send to me from across the world. And organisation in general, of notes, etc.

16. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

i have a way to solve it...do a sequal

17. Forde

Forde New Member

Not making any money from my writing & going back and writing up those placeholders I put in when I knew what I wanted to write but couldn't do it for some reason.

18. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Exactly the same for me...Damnit!

19. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I get frustrated when a story starts to come out, plot lines are coming together, then during the bulk of the writing, realizing that the characters are all wrong, and the whole thing just isn't going to work this way.

I just shelved my recent project out of sheer frustration. As I was writing it I realized I just didn't like one of my MCs. She wasn't developing, and I wasn't telling her story right. So I put it away. I'll let the idea that I had stew for awhile, while I work on something else.

It's still aggravating though.

20. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Hi Chandler,

I have said this before, but what frustrates me the most is when I spend a couple of hours devoted to my writing... writing this and writing that. The ideas are flowing, the words are flowing, everything is working perfectly and then I look back over what I've done, only to find a few hundred lame words that need a lot of work.

I know... shocking. I touch type as well.

Sigh.

21. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Distractions. All devised to keep me from the truth.

22. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

All of this sounds great. Now only if we could come up with away to overcome our problems with writing blocks we all would be set. I am glad I am not the only one with the issues of writing.

23. love2listen

love2listen New Member

the parts that are boring but neccessary. if they dont get written its not gonna work without them. but you dont want to write them because they are boring

24. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Exactly. I agree with you here a whole lot; this kind of thing stops me all the damn time.

25. Vapor

Vapor New Member

That's a good observation. For me it is the slow and painful process, and then when I read it back I always fluctuate between "wow this is really good" and "most terrible thing i've ever read".