1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Suspense

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Rumwriter, May 12, 2011.

What are the best ways you have found to really add suspense to your book? Keep it a real page turner. Different ways?

2. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

From the books I've read I find suspense is best created by ending each chapter with a cliffhanger. No fading out with the end of the day or a character falling asleep. The chapter ends with a question: What happens now?

Dan Brown does this well I feel. James Patterson is another one. Short chapters with breathless endings.

3. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

yeah. I guess the thing to do is just constantly bombard your audience with new questions?

will he survive?
    who will win?
    what does this new object do?
    is he on our side or not?
    will they fall in love?
    will they break up?
    who is correct, person a or person b?
    how will they get out of this one?

you think you should just keep it coming? are there other examples you can think of?

4. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Start in the middle of the action. Try a prologue fight scene, chase scene, death scene, etc., but stop right before the climax--then, Chapter One. Now, you can either finish up the prologue within the first chapter, or keep writing your book until it's time for the prologue.

That's just a general overall tip...if you wanted to add suspense throughout the entire book, just remember the definition of suspense: "Knowing something is going to happen, but not knowing when."

I also agree with The Joker. Good luck.