1. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

My Country

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Mar 25, 2009.

I have noticed that there are a lot of countries, from all over the world, represented in this forum. I also notice that there are some misconceptions about different countries, from people that have never been to them.

Here is the place to share about your beloved country, or to ask questions about countries you are curious about. Maybe we can debunk some misconceptions.

Please be considerate of other people, and their feelings. We can all be mature and share nicely, so let's prove it.

I am from the United States and I can't honestly imagine living anywhere else. Not because I don't like other countries, but because I know how things work here, and I like the rights I have. Even if I did move to a different country, I would still want to keep my citizenship.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the United States, and I would like to know what you think about my country and why. :)

Something the you may not know is that additional to our countries consititution, each state has there own laws that sometimes vary. So no two states are the same, and there is a lot of different things allowed in different states.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

My Prime Minister and your President met yesterday and had a good ol time by thelooks of it ;)

I don't really have any questions about American that i can think of right now.

3. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

Ok, then I have a question about Australia. Do you vote to elect your leader? How often, and how does it work?

Here we vote for a new president every four year. The vote is broken down by state deligates(prolly spelt wrong), for each state. How many each state has depends on the states population. Then whichever candidate gets the most deligates wins that state. The more deligates, wins. It gets more complicated the most in depth you go. Especially because the two major political parties Rebulican/Demacrat, have a different amount of deligates that can be won.

You have to be 18 and registered to vote, when the election is taking place to vote.

4. Speedy

I Always watch the US election. It fasinates me.

Yes, we vote (But unlike America, its [FONT=&quot]compulsory for everyone over 18). Every 4 years as well ;).

Goes why majority seat number (not sure whats the number though). But yeah.
    [/FONT]

5. star_fire

star_fire New Member

i have a question that's not about government, it's about the australian climate.

in ohio we have summer, fall, winter, spring. i know that when it's winter here, it's summer for you guys. do you still call it summer, winter, etc. or do you go with more of a summer, rainy season, etc.?

6. Speedy

Summer, Autumm, Winter and Spring.

Up north (very north) Summer is the wet season and winter its the dry season.

Hope that helpd.

7. star_fire

star_fire New Member

*nod* i was under the impression that you guys replaced summer with "rainy season" and winter with "dry season"
    gah! it makes my head hurt to think about people on the other side of the world :D

8. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

lol...we have those in a way Starfire...Nov-Feb, are the cold, dry season, and only NW parts of India recieve some rainfall from western disturbances, and Tamil Nadu from the North-East Monsoon winds...otherwise no rainfall. But the summer months, June-Sept, have very heavy(and sometimes not so heavy) rainfall due to the SW Monsoons.

oooh...shows I learnt my lessons well..:p

Other than that, I don't think I can imagine living anywhere else. Some people say India does not have anything greater than others, I disagree, to me my country is everything *shrug*. But then that's true for everyone.

9. Speedy

Speaking of India, im very isappointed the cricket (20/20) is going to South Afrixca. It was good entertainment.

10. Rykoshet

Rykoshet New Member

Some parts of India are beyond awesome.

In terms of the best system of democratic representation at the moment, Germany's got everyone beat. It's not the best for representation by area, but by sheer populace it does justice to the voters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_Member_Proportional

11. Neha

Speedy-ditto...this time around I would've watched it live..!!:(

Rykoshet-I aree...but not be thrown off the reality, some parts are equally, bad...but, anything perfect is not real right>?

12. Rykoshet

Rykoshet New Member

Obviously. And according to Russell Peters, that wafting odour most people joke about isn't just a myth.

13. Speedy

U used to watch it live too. Every game ;)

best thing ever, watching new talent. I know this is off topic, but india are going to be a sup power cricket wise soon (in all forms).

14. Neha

Rykoshet-wafting odour??

Speedy-Hey, cricket is a BIG part of Indian culture. And I totally agree, new blood. We're totally bashing everyone. Now at the end of the matches, instead of sitting at the temple, right across the t.v., tears running down my cheeks, and franticly praying for a miralcle, I'm crying happily cos we won...lol

Btw, did you see the finals of the last T-20 world cup finals match?? wasn't it awesome??

And I HEART Ishant Sharma, he has such a goatish face..:p

15. Speedy

The Aussies did well over there, passing some talent on i think.

The final was pure brilliance.

BTW watching India take pon New Zealand today. DIdnt they smash NZ last game.

16. Speedy

Yeah, i knew from moment one, he was going to be a pin up boy ;)

17. Neha

lol, like I knew about your Mitchell Johnson? Now he's HOT..!!!

Yup, we defeated them by 10 wickets...first win since 1968..aah..sweet victory..lol

18. Speedy

I think we need a sports thread!

I want to go to India to visit the Dalai Lama

19. Neha

Wrong, you want to go to Tibet to visit Dalai Lama, he only comes here sometimes, basically he's fighting for freeing Tibet from China. Though there's great monastry where he lives here in Himanchal Pradesh at Dharamshala...I've been there, it's beautiful!

20. Speedy

I would love to but he'll never make it back to Tibet as china will never let him back in. He lives i Northern India doesnt he?

21. Neha

Yeah, at the monastry in Dharamshala..lol, it makes me laugh how people sometimes think Dalai Lama and the llama are the same.

22. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Neha - WHAT people do that??

There are llamas near my house :) and sheep. A LOTTT of sheep - I was feeding some friends lambs yesterday, they are so sweet. Mum died though :(

Anyway, my country, England :) there's retarded things about it, like the Government are a bunch of twats (ok maybe that's just my opnion) and some bits of the country are crappy, and it rains a lot. But there's great bits about where I live, like the fact that Kent is really pretty, and there's lots to see in the little towns like Whitstable as well as bit cities like London. Ummmm and we have cool stuff like...fish and chips...and the Queen..and um yeah. Not especially famous for fashion, cooking or music. We're just cool yeah :p

I'm gona move to France when i'm older anyway

23. Neha

I came across a question on yahoo answers, asking what the difference was..

My answer-the media wouldn't make such hype over an animal would it??

And I am TOTALLY going to visit England in 2 years...it seems like a kool place...though you have our kohinoor...lol...kidding.

24. sophie.

sophie. New Member

LOL people are retarded.

The Dalai Lama vs a woolly sheepish thing. Hmm

Yeah - I'll go to India, you come to England! Swapsiies lol

25. Neha

deal..

*shakes hands*