Swine Flu

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pacmansays, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I know. It's still wild.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Geez, is this swine flu still doing the rounds....

*Yawn*

Wake me when theres talks about someone playing with nukes again instead.

3. Speedy

You know, when I think about it I somewhat worry about the younger people around the world. I mean you know the bubble wrapped, cotton wool generation. The kids who never got to play dangerously nor touch dirt and get worms. The ones that always get misinformed.

They must be crapping themselves right now! (
    [FONT=&quot]Which would be bad, cause of hygiene issues) [/FONT]

4. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Ha I'm gona start doing that too

Next time someone at school is like 'OOH i'm sooo scared of the swine flu, what if it spreads' I'll say airily 'yeah. life's a bitch, don't worry, I'll come to your funeral AND send flowers'

5. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I sooo want to try that

6. Rei

It's a generation that also believes that everything must be perfectly sterile. How do they think we develop immune systems to begin with?

7. Speedy

Exactly.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't know which is spreading faster, the H1N1 (can we pronounce it "hiney"?) or the misinformation?

One more time. Pandemic refers ONLY to the distribution pattern, not the overall threat it represents. Although the pandemic level may be elevated, the threat level is diminishing, because the lethality of the virus is clearly much lower than it appeared at first. Any form of influenza pandemic is a matter for some concern, especially a form for which no vaccine exists.

It does have an impact, regardless of any public overreaction. It should be a news item, because only thorugh public awareness can the spread be minimized and proper treatment handled.

On the other hand, the public can be counted upon to either panic and overreact, or to completely disregard even common sense precautions. A reasonable person will go about his or her daily life, but take simple steps to reduce the likelihood of exposure. A reasonable person who shows symptoms will take some extra care to avoid transmitting it to others.

That's what fear does. People either go nuts, or they indulge in denial.

9. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

And I... am not one of them.

10. Rei

Ah, I sees. If you said that before, I'm sorry. I didn't see it. Nobody on the news has bothered to explain that either.

11. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

It is very sad that people have died of the H1N1 flu virus. I feel deeply for the families, keep that in mind as I say the rest....

It could be a good thing that this flu has hit at the end of our flu season. Especially since it seems to be tappering off. It gives us the oppertunity to create a vaccine, incase it hits again, and harder for the next flu season. Atleast now, we have a sample of the virus to make vaccine, which could save many lives if this reappears in a stronger force. Could be the silver lining in all the distress.

Again, I do feel bad for all the people that are affected by it, and don't take it lightly.

But, I personally am not worried at the flu. I have a 4 year old, and I make him wash his hands right away when we come home from being out. I told my husband, if any of us gets a fever, we are going to the Dr right away. Otherwise...life as normal.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The southern hemisphere is about to enter its flu season. Health officials are watching to see how this effects the spread of the starin as well.

I do think there will be an H1N1 component in the October flu vaccine, though.

13. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

-plan to pull out cell phone at lunch...-

14. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

It's all political. The WHO gets funding if nations "think" it's an essential part of some global health management system. The WHO doesn't attract much attention for routine daily cautions about common (yet deadly) problems like malaria, the terrible medical effects of poverty or regional problems that don't make headlines. So, they copy politicians everywhere, welcoming a "good" crisis that can be manipulated to validate their existence . . . i.e get more money. This "crisis" worked. They got millions of "sheep" all around the world to panic over a "pandemic" without much substantiation of real risk. Sound familiar? Can you say, "Global warming!" LOL

15. Rei

Global warming not the best example. Whether global warming is true or not, the damage we're doing to ourselves and the environment is real.

In an interview I saw last night, they talked about funding those organizations. One thought is that they don't deserve the funding because nothing serious has happening. Then they would say nothing so serious has happened since 1918 because they get all that funding. In the interview, they compared it to national defense. There's fear of being attacked by other countries, so you build up your military. But how do we know if you're safe because of that, or because nobody is going to invade you in the first place. How do we know if this virus would be so mild without the WHO's actions? We don't.

16. sophie.

sophie. New Member

NaCl -

Yeah but global warming is happening and that is a much bigger threat than a pretty weak flu mutation. Seems we have pretty much managed to screw up the world!

17. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Sophie, you're welcome to believe that school of thought, but I believe a host of other respectable scientists who say otherwise. In fact, some notable climatologists say we are supposed to be entering another ice age. This issue has been adopted (and adapted) by Gore, left wing politicians and eco-extremists as a political chant to influence political agenda. It is not a crisis . . . just like the Swine Flu nonsense. They are both political tools.

18. Rei

This is not the place to debate global warming, people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.