1. terrwyn

terrwyn New Member

Switching between characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by terrwyn, Nov 14, 2011.

Originally I was writing from one character's perspective in first person. Later, I've been wondering if I should write in third person with multiple characters, since important events happen to characters other than my mc. Would this be a good idea or is it annoying and confusing?

2. Gracia Bee

Gracia Bee Member

Rewrite your story in 3rd person and then compare it the one you wrote in 1st. Then you can choose which one sounds better. If 1st person sounds best, is there a way to involve your main character? Hope that helps :)

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

A LOT of books do that: multiple pov and third person. it's a good way if you feel there are things that the reader should know that the mc/first person pov character wouldn't know. I write my current (and the previous) story this way. But don't use too many pov-characters, Three or four may be enough, it won't be annoying or confusing unless you include too many pov-characters or write about events that has no relevance to the story.

4. terrwyn

terrwyn New Member

Thanks both of you for your advice. :) I'll probably only use two or three characters, since they go through experiences that are most important for the reader to know. Thanks again.