Tags:
  1. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

Switching protagonists

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jones6192, Feb 9, 2011.

Remember way, waaaay back when I told you all about how the comic relief character in one of my stories was going to be an Indiana Jones fanatic? Well, I suddenly find myself in the awkward position where I enjoy writing him more than I do the main character. It's just much more fun writing a character so outrageous and different. I'm already about ten chapters into the book, and have gotten pretty deep into the main plot. Is it a good idea for me to go back and make him the protagonist, after having written so much from the viewpoint of the other character?

P.S. Sorry about not being on these boards for so long. Been very busy. :D

2. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Yeah, actually I do remember :D

I think that's a great idea. You want to have a main character that readers will like and want to follow. My sister has been working on this book of hers and a while back she decided to just scratch her main character and instead place a friend of the main character into the main character part. And probably it's been done before.

Good luck!

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

My first book - I changed the narrator several times before settling on Angus, have never regretted trying several different view points.

My second book I actually have two protagonists, in the second half one of them becomes the antagonist.

4. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Do the book have multiple view points? In that way, a lot of what you have written can probably be kept.

Having an more sensible outside perceptive on the more flipped out main character can be a great addition to really understand the main character.

5. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

The viewpoint does switch every now and then, so I guess that could work. I mainly want to make my Indy fan the protagonist because I've found that he is just over-the-top and unique that I enjoy writing him more. And because I love Indiana Jones, of course, and can't wait to do all sorts of jokes about him. I've even added a scene where the character gets into a fistfight, in which he utilizes moves from the films, with predictable results. :D