1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Synopsis Biographical Note

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Elgaisma, Sep 3, 2010.

On the bottom of the synopsis my industry standard guide says I should include 50-200 words about myself.

Thing is my life is pretty dull, and I don't want to admit I have Fibromyalgia as I know it may put them off. Would just age, fact I am a Mum and the story about how my book came to be work do you think?

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributing Member Contributor

Write what you feel. They don't need to know, so why tell them. You're a writer, not applying to operate a heavy machine for 12 hours a day.

I always wondered if you could put why you decided to write what you wrote under this. But being am other is pretty frigging awesome.

3. Elgaisma

:) I think being a Mum is kind of great, but my kids make it easy.

I think I will go with the tale of how my story came about, it seems the most relevant.

4. Speedy

Speedy Contributing Member Contributor

Being 50-200 words, you can easily write half a dozen. (Parent-hood, story, why etc)

I'd try to write a few down if you have time. Shelf it for a day and see which rings true in a day or too. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Elgaisma

good idea:) My trouble is I may need to tidy it all up and ship it off really quickly. I am waiting for an agent to open her books this week, that I want to at least try with.

It is stupid I have three chapters I like, a query letter I am happy with and a synopsis mostly done. Just these less than 200 words standing in my way.

1 person likes this.
  6. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Ah, you'll be fine - 50 words is a tiny amount, so it looks like just a formality. Writers can be extremely boring people - they need to save up all their interesting for the page anyway. They'll understand if you don't want to talk about yourself. :D

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

don't go by a 'standard guide'... go only by each agent's/publisher's query/submission guidelines...

and most don't want to know anything but whether you have any relevant paid credits...

8. Elgaisma

I am not selling my book in the US.

All the top agents I have contacted have told me to follow the advice in the book. In the UK an agent wants a biography and know if they can sell you as well as your book. An author with a good personality is seen as an asset. The synopsis is like a CV of yourself and your book, it is to be less than 700 words with Introduction, 350-450 words story synopsis and 50-100 words. This particular book is pretty much put out by the publishing industry every year.