1. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Synopsis for Dreaming a Reality

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lmc71775, Aug 18, 2010.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A synopsis here will be treated as ANY piece of writing. Critiques are limited to the writing, i.e., how effectively the writer communicates the intended message.

It would help to know for what purpose the synoposis in intended. For example, a synopsis for a query would be considerably briefer than this, and would summarize the entire story, including its resolution.

3. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thanks Cog!

Sorry I didn't mention earlier. It is for my 40K novella. I am interested in how it sounds. If it's an interesting story, and what genre would it fall under. And how to make it better in general. Thanks again Cogito, I appreciate that. And yes, it is the full story.

4. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

It's a genre romance or "general fiction," as far as I can tell. Maybe thriller, loosely defined. It certainly isn't mystery or fantasy or sci fi, so I guess it's thriller if you focus more on Dean's stalking and it's romance if you focus on Kat's relationships with Mitch and John.

Reading a storyline like this doesn't tell me whether I would enjoy the novella itself, unfortunately. A lot of that would depend on how detailed the world was, how the characters were portrayed, and on basics of craft. For example, I'd wonder why Kat is being haunted by the dreams of the girl, since you appear to have dropped that subplot.

A query synopsis is designed to make the book sound as interesting as possible in a few paragraphs. You can go to QueryShark.blogspot.com for a bunch of examples and advice.

5. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thanks for your honest opinion. I didn't drop the sub-plot of the dreams...it turns out to be her unborn daughter in the end.

I do appreciate your honesty. I will check out the shark site