1. Lolly_pop

Lolly_pop New Member

Synopsis help

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lolly_pop, Jan 11, 2010.

Hi all,

I'm new here and have just completed my first manuscript. I've 'googled' advice on writing a synopsis and can only find conflicting information. Does any one have any advice: how long it shoud be, format ect? It would be grately appreciated before I enter the jungle of submission process.

Thaks ;)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are writing a synopsis for a publisher, it should ideally be a page or less. It should cover the entire storyline. Don't leave off the climax as a "tease."

If you are not used to writing concisely, now is the time to learn. Get to the point, and stick to the essentials. Sketch the key characters, identify the conflicts, and lay out the chronology.

3. Lolly_pop

Lolly_pop New Member

I've written several synopses for screenplays and always introduce a new character in caps. Should they be introduced in the same way and should I double space the text? Thanks.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Cogito is correct. If at all possible, it should be about one page in length (unless the publisher's guidelines indicate otherwise).

Here is an article I wrote on the topic that may be of some assistance to you: Writing a Novel Synopsis

Hope that helps.

Remember, writing a synopsis is difficult but not impossible. Good luck.

Terry

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

characters do not have to be done in all-caps... in fact, some editors [i'm one] find that very annoying... the storyline should be set out in simple declarative present tense and not included any dialog...

some agents/publishers will want longer synopses, so it's a good idea to have more than one prepared, to save time: short [1 pg], med. [2-3 pgs], long [5-10 pgs]... the third will probably be the least-often wanted, so having at least the first two on hand would be a wise move...