1. Bob Fiddaman

Bob Fiddaman New Member

Synopsis Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Bob Fiddaman, Apr 8, 2015.

Firstly, forgive me for barging in here and not offering any form of input and expecting critiques.

I have an agent, who after reading the first three chapters of my manuscript, is interested, if I can stretch the novel out to 65,000 + words.

I've managed to do this and am preparing to send the new/revised manuscript back.

The biggest problem I've found is the synopsis - it's an art in itself, right?

So, question I have for the fellow writers and readers in here...

Would the following peak your interest?

Please bear in mind this is for an agent and not the blurb on the back cover of a book.

No Other Man by Bob Fiddaman.

In 2001, after his wife had left him for another man, Don Williamson looked up into the night sky and was inspired to write a poem. The poem, unbeknown to Williamson, would contain a hidden message, a secret code, that predicted an astronomical event some 13 years later. It was a secret code that even the Vatican were trying to get their hands on.

13 years later, after a relationship split with his Swedish girlfriend, Katy Johansson, Don Williamson feels depression taking a hold of him. Heartbroken, and wanting Katy back, he decides one night to end his life.

Karen Crawford is 40. She is a world renowned beautiful American model from Idaho living in the UK. Her best friend, Angie Jakobs, is a popular television psychic medium from Idaho who has, in the past, solved cold cases for the Idaho police department. She tells Crawford that she will one day meet a man and will know immediately that there is No Other Man.

Teresa O’Brien and Sara Louise Conway were present at Don's birth, even though they had been murdered some years previous. Sebastian Chantel and his brother, Anthony, were present at Karen's birth. They had also been murdered some years previous. They each have wings. They all have one common goal, to make sure both Williamson and Crawford meet. With the help of Archangel Gabriel, Williamson and Crawford meet on a busy London Street. It's love and lust at first sight and it takes them both on a journey of biblical proportions, a journey where they learn the hidden code of the poem and where both their lives are put into danger.

Both acting on the advice of Jakobs they plan to return to Idaho and are pursued by Williamson's ex, Katy Johansson, and the boy (now a man) Lex Brampton, who raped Crawford when she was just 13. Both Johansson and Brampton have blackened hearts and fall prey to the dark one who wants nothing more than to end the lives of Williamson and Crawford. His motive is to simply stop the message of God, his ultimate goal is to set the end of times into motion. The dark one also recruits the murderers of the four guardian angels who now watch over Williamson and Crawford.

With twists and turns Williamson realises that he is the only one who can stop the Devil in his tracks. The poem he penned some 13 years ago tells him how to do it.

With Pope John Paul III offering his assistance Williamson and Crawford are pursued and hunted down across the UK and Idaho until a final showdown with the Devil himself.

Can Don Williamson save the day, more importantly, can Don Williamson save humanity as we know it?

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

This isn't a synopsis as I understand them.

This feels more like an extended "about the book" portion for a query letter.

I don't think I've ever had an agent ask for a synopsis, but when publishers have asked for them they've been looking for something that tells the whole story of the book, in linear fashion. A plot summary, essentially.

Did the prospective agent ask for a "synopsis", or is that just the word you're using yourself?

3. Piankhy

Piankhy Member

I have to agree, this doesn't seem like a synopsis. I'm an amateur myself but it seems like you're revealing too much as well.

4. Bob Fiddaman

Bob Fiddaman New Member

I guess I should summarize the summary, right?

Such an art to writing a synopsis - It needs work.

Thank you both for your input.

5. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

My understanding is that you should have all the answers and not be asking the reader (agent) questions. It should be a walk through of the novel from start to end, with themes and message clearly spelt out... Or am I wrong?

Tesoro likes this.
  6. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Well done if you have interest from an agent - but synopses are generally expected to give away the ending.