1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. zaffy

zaffy Contributing Member

synopsis

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by zaffy, Apr 14, 2011.

Are there any rules to writing a synopsis? Is it okay to leave lesser characters and events out?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Yes you just include main characters and main plotline. How long is the synopsis you need ?

3. zaffy

zaffy Contributing Member

400 words

4. Elgaisma

In which case just mention MC, main conflict and main storyline - there isn't room for anything else. Also do you have your one sentence summary ?

Are you in the UK I can't remember ?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

other than to write it in simple declarative present tense, there are rigid rules only for a screenplay synopsis... for fiction, it's much more up to the writer...

that depends on how long a synopsis is required... for a 1-2 pg, that would be ok... for a medium [3-5 pg] to long one [6-10 pg], probably not...

6. Ophiucha

Ophiucha Member

For a four hundred word synopsis, I would suggest leaving out pretty much everything but the core storyline and the characters most involved in it (the protagonist and antagonist, likely).

7. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Elgaisma, I'm glad that you mentionated the once sentence summary of this. I thought I was the only one who was crazy to tell someone else about this, but she thought I was just being crazy too.

8. L.H.J.

L.H.J. Member

That's for me to know and you to not know.
    I googled how to write a synopsis since I don't know how to write one..ha..and found this. hope it helps :)

9. Elgaisma

I seem to remember you are in the UK - in which case most agents refer you back to the Writers and Artists Yearbook - some have their own requirements. The UK agents often have very helpful websites giving bullet point requirements for synopsis and covering letter (it isn't called a query here). Don't google it most sites are not relevant for a UK agent/publisher even down to the font suggested being wrong.

I have found the yearbook invaluable in putting my submissions together.