1. jedellion

jedellion Member

World building 101

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by jedellion, Jan 17, 2013.

Hi folks. I have quite a lot of experience of creating fantasy worlds, and did my degree final project on developing a database for the very topic. Would anyone be interested in some short essays on world building?

Jed

2. Tanelorn

Tanelorn New Member

I'm curious what exactly you mean by world building. And what does a world building database consist of.

3. Talmay

Talmay Member

The process of building a fantasy world. Culture, language, races -- that sort of thing, probably. Although I'm very curious about this database.

4. magnus

magnus New Member

Would be worth a read, currently working on world building myself.

5. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I'm interested

Got a buncha worlds I want to make

6. jedellion

jedellion Member

The database I created was essentially a way of storing the world details, flora, fauna, places, characters, events, etc etc etc. at first I just saw it as a means to beta good grade as I had to design a relational database with around 30 tables. This was for my final year project for a degree in computing.

In the past I used to use a large card index to store info and lots of books.

I am not convinced the database is actually that useful now, but it was a very good exercise in rationalising the essential ingredients of a "world"

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

That actually sounds incredibly useful. I've got all my plot and setting stuff crammed together in hastily scrawled notes. I've got a stack of paper, some lined, some not, including a dozen index cards.

If you have program to organize that digitally, the would be awesome.

8. jedellion

jedellion Member

The project is a java program that is essentially just a large series of sql database tables. I always intended to create java front end that i could have as a server application so people could use it online. Sadly I just never got started on the front end as it was not required for my degree.

If I ever have enough time, and it would take a while, I will try and recreate the database as a stand alone application.

9. jedellion

jedellion Member

The project is a java program that is essentially just a large series of sql database tables. I always intended to create java front end that i could have as a server application so people could use it online. Sadly I just never got started on the front end as it was not required for my degree.

If I ever have enough time, and it would take a while, I will try and recreate the database as a stand alone application.