1. mercy

mercy Senior Member

Take Some Resposibility for Your Own Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by mercy, Jan 5, 2008.

Everyone makes mistake; that is true, but when people post lengthy stories, containing one or two grammatical errors in nearly every sentence, it is wrong.

We are happy to review, but we can not do all the work for you. The author holds the responsibility for his/her writing. If you are not sure about something, look it up. There are a lot of good sites on the net that can help.

If you are really serious about writing, then step up and take responsibilty.

2. MarcG

MarcG Contributing Member

It takes 1 keystroke to initiate Spellcheck in Microsoft Word. It's 1 too many. ;)

3. Klee

Klee Contributing Member

I agree with you mercy, but what makes me more mad is when author posts a note saying "Please don't pay attention to the grammar" or similar. If you're not taking the time to check your story for mistakes and make it readable for us, why should we waste our own time checking it for you?

4. mercy

mercy Senior Member

I feel you. If you don't care about it, why should we?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

<laugh> And that doesn't count the time to check every flagged word to make sure it is truly wrong. Then you still have to proofread carefully to find where you typed pride instead of prude, or hat instead of hate, or bolo when you meant bold.

The occasional typo isn't the problem. They will sneak in, however careful you are. It's when the misspellings, and the usage errors, and the misplaced punctuation, are so pervasive as to make it difficult to read what the writer intended. How then can the reviewer judge more subtle aspects such as the flow and the pace of the story?

If the SPAG is broken, or badly bent, there is little point in forging past it.

So as a writer, it is most assuredly in your best interest to fix all those things to the best of your ability, using whatever tools you have at your disposal, before submitting the piece for review.

(By the way, I'm moving this thread to General Writing, under Writing Issues. The Suggestions forum is for ideas about the structure of the site and featured offered.)

6. Master of Shadows

Master of Shadows Member

I hate it when my friend says "Ooo lookie at my writing it's so great!" And all the dialogue's all smushed together in paragraph, there's so many spelling issues that I can't even read half of it, and the grammar makes it look like a baby said it and she wrote it down. :p So yes, I think that if people want their stuff reviewed, they should remember reviewing is not editing it is how good the piece is.

7. Ferret

Ferret Contributing Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    It's usually young writers or people who don't speak English as a first language.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I wish that were true, Ferret. I've seen it across all demographics.

9. Klee

Klee Contributing Member

I don't speak English as a first language, but I still check my grammar and I don't mean to brag or anything, but even my first drafts are better written than some of the things I've seen here by people with English as a first language.

But I see you point, and I accept it.

10. MarcG

MarcG Contributing Member

If it looks like Christmas in MS Word then it shouldn't be posted.

11. B-Gas

B-Gas Contributing Member

It's even deeper than that- if you have a whole lot of SPAG, it means three things. First, you clearly didn't read it. Second, despite the fact that you clearly didn't read it, you expect others to. And Third, you have forgotten the fundamental idea of being a writer- that what you have to say is so important, so brilliant or so interesting that other people should pay money just to see it. It takes a lot of ego to be a writer- getting SPAG errors means that you are not putting in the effort that that ego deserves.

12. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I get a chuckle over the ones who say, "I know I'm bad at that grammar stuff, but when I get a publisher they'll have an editor to take care of it for me."

13. mercy

mercy Senior Member

I would have never guessed.

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

Unfortuanatly not, Ferret. It is the people who are lazy and cannot be bothered to check their work but expect us to out a ot of time into giving them a review. You also find that the ones who don't bother with things such as spelling and grammer, are the ones who ignore any peice of critism, accepting only the good. They sort of run hand in hand I'm afraid,

15. mercy

mercy Senior Member

HAHAHA - IT TOOK ME A MINUTE

16. DavidGil

DavidGil Senior Member

By and large, I agree with everything said here. It is the one thing I harp on about. It doesn't gain me many friends when I go through the pieces I might add nor do they return the favor. One of the easily noticed mistakes is to do with dialog which I see a lot. Like these for example:

Robert looked up and said "He isn't going anywhere"

Another example:

"He isn't going anywhere." He said.

Last example:

"Is he going out?", Asked Jake.

(you could swap the capital A for a lower case one and still have it as a valid example of what I see I think.)

Now I know some people don't know the rules of dialog though and other grammar rules that don't pertain to it but in my mind, a run through in spellcheck would flag the above examples as wrong correct? So they know there's something that needs considering. I know it's petty as well with the examples given above, but if someone knows the rules yet they have anything I showed above in their work, it reflects on them. It's normally commonplace throughout the work also.

To be honest though, work with poor grammar is what I feel most able to critique. When I come across someone that is perfectly sound technical wise and is also a really good writer, I have no idea how to go about the critique. Particularly troublesome when returning the favor to someone. It's really bothersome because I'm not a word person and my vocabulary does need strengthening. I don't mind helping the people either as I've been there before and with not doing so well at school and basically never having lessons, I can relate.

What does annoy me though is when I suggest double spacing and they don't do it. It also annoys me when it appears the errors are due to a lack of care rather than not just being very good. The cardinal sin is when it feels like the large amount of time you spend going through grammatically flawed works is completely wasted.

PS: What someone said about their first drafts being better than what they see, stands true for me as well. Each time I write a sentence, I look at it for missing letters etc. before moving on, so my first drafts normally are quite readable in my view. (but I am english) What hurts most is I see grammatically flawed works get responses and ones that aren't go unnoticed or rather, they don't get comments. I sometimes wonder whether the people who comment are just being kind or not. ;) They at least don't flag any grammar mistakes within and I wonder why, when the work gets praised.

17. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I have been in America for 2 years and have only spoken English for 2 years. I really try hard to catch my grammar mistakes.
    But sometimes its really hard.

I know a lot of people who put the dialog in the same paragraph as the action. It can get very confusing trying to proof read any story like that.

18. Sywo

Sywo Member

Perhaps for Reviewing we could try the P.E.N system my school's language department uses?

P= Praise
    E= Error (normally grammar).
    N= Next time include.

Or something along those lines?

19. Industrial

Industrial New Member

I completely agree. I think proper grammar is a very important aspect, especially if you are serious about writing.

20. chaplainandrews

chaplainandrews New Member

Unfortunately, they have come to people who will at least give these people a chance. Truth is, however, most people just take one quick look and move on to a new post--because it truly isn't worth reading at all.