Taking Criticism

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Unsavory, Jan 21, 2009.

1. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I look at it the same way Wreybies does, basically. It's flattering more than anything, ha. Someone took the time to read your piece and break it down word for word to help you out. It's nice. Sure, when initially receiving a very critical review I usually read it once, back away for a good hour, and then return casually to read it again. I usually find that it's a lot easier to look at your writing and the review, and learn where to improve after doing so.

2. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

Read stories of famous authors who failed to get their first books published. That always helps. And don't worry about those authors who write bestsellers from the starting line, because chances are a) they spent quite a few years writing the book, b) they sat there, for as long as it took to write the book, and rewrote it, and c) their writing actually sucks and it only appeals to people because the author has a certain viewpoint that many other people have, so the greatness of the story is not based upon actual writing skill. Take the movie Grandma's Boy as an example. Good movie, bad story.

3. litilraven

litilraven New Member

So helpful!!

I have not been here long, but everything I read is so helpful! Even some negative things catch my attention, and I learn from it.

So many smart people are in here and I feel proud to be a proud of it, however green within the community.

kas, I love your opinions! I think you're quite intelligent and I enjoy your posts.