1. stoned4assassin20

stoned4assassin20 New Member

Does anyone else love reviewing?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by stoned4assassin20, Aug 29, 2008.

I swear to God I'm addicted. Every time I get on the computer I'm driven by a compulsive urge to review some more work. When I read magazines, I review the articles in my head and dissect the syntax. When I talk to people, I find myself looking for weak verbs and passive voice. I'm coming to think that reviewing is as much of an art as the piece itself.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

<raises hand> - Guilty, Your Honor.

3. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

I was actually relieved, when I found the vibe of this forum was just as much (if not more, since it's made a priority) reviewing as producing pieces :p I think I have a better eye for the former (I guess, since the latter doesn't use eye so much as... gut? heart? pancreas? one of those.)

4. Cogito

Spleen. definitely the spleen. Specifically the lower medial ventral octant.

5. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Which is where the Pedantry Gland is situated, secreting vital Nitpickulose to the entire body.

(One of my favorite pin/bumper sticker slogans: "I'm not pompous. I'm pedantic. There's a difference.)

It's nice to take a break and read other people's work rather than deal with the stress of working on my own. (Especially when these stupid side characters keep showing up and not going away. Last time this happened, they ended up becoming the protagonists.)

6. theassassin

theassassin New Member

As I review more, I enjoy it more.
    I like helping others!

7. Kylie

Kylie New Member

Yes! :) It's fun recieving reviews and giving it.

8. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

With reviewing, there's never a lack of material. Big plus.

9. Cogito

Reviewing is always a learning experience. And every day I learn something new is a good day.

10. Callum

Callum New Member

A well thought out, cleverly executed third post in this thread. The subtly moral undertones help to make this post an informative and thought provoking read.

yeah reviewing is ok i suppose, i don't really do it often.
    ;)

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Reviewing is certainly unique you certainly don't have to focus on everything some would review poetry only or lyrics while others take the bigger step and review peice of fiction. I find that reviewing Fiction is a much better learning curve simply because your looking into another persons work and discovering their world let alone finding grammar issues and commas full stops misplaced etc. Reviewing can also include your thoughts on presentation and plotline, characterisation the stories atmosphere and the detail.

12. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I enjoy reviewing. I know I haven't gotten a chance to do it too much on this site so far, but I do plan on upping my distribution of reviews, lol. I enjoy giving reviews, because I know through the constructive criticism, most writers are so appreciative to reviews they receive. I know I am!

Besides, if I read a story and just lurk, never to review, I feel guilty. I try not to do that.

13. kehl

kehl New Member

I would definetly like to get better at reviewing. I can see what I don't like, and what I do like, but I never know the technical terms. That leaves me writing something useless like"I enjoyed it" or something. I'll learn though....I'll learn ; )

14. CobaltLion

CobaltLion New Member

I've started to really enjoy reviewing. I'm finding it a good experiance to sit down and take a good look at the work people have done. There's been some really great stories here too, so that makes it all the better.

The other thing it has done has hepled me lok at my own work more criticly, and this has improved my own proofreading skills.

15. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

My friends and family all come to me if they have a homework assignment or something they've written that they want someone to look at for them. I don't know why I have so much fun reviewing things, but I think sometimes I enjoy reviewing more than I enjoy writing for myself.