1. Taylor3

Taylor3 New Member

taking notes on your phone

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Taylor3, Jul 21, 2010.

someone's comment about a phone app made me think of this.

Right now my phone is a Sidekick and it has a real keyboard, not one of those touch screen ones. I take notes in it all the time, for my book. Like if I go have to explore a location, for example.

i'm thinking about getting an iPhone but I don't know how easy it is to type on those touchscreen keyboards. Those of you with a touchscreen keyboard, is it easy to type? Like would you want to take notes on a location for an hour or more with a touchscreen keyboard?

I was thinking it's fine for texting but not as much if you need to take extensive notes on your phone.

does anyone have an iPhone or any other type of touchscreen phone and you take extensive notes on it for an hour or two, or even write with it, and it's no problem?

thx!

2. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

They are extremely easy to use. I own an iPhone and iPad - they are designed with an easy interface in mind, to an extent I had previously not had the pleasure of experiencing! The keyboards are extremely easy to use; each button is large enough to use quickly & accurately.

3. Aconite

Aconite New Member

I don't have a texting-ready phone as my hands are too wacky to text effectively (for the curious: missing fingertips/first joints on my right hand, not a big deal in my daily life but enough to mean I can't really handwrite for extended periods of time, or of course text.)

However! As I mentioned in the other thread, I just got an Asus EEE 701 for $50 on EBay, and I am loving it thus far for spot-writing (although the 3/4 size keys took a little bit of getting used to). It's 8.9" in length (screen size: 7" diagonally), which means it just fits in my medium-size purse (and would easily fit in a larger one.) It's running Ubuntu, and I installed Textroom on it, although it already has OpenOffice: I need a wordcount to live write. ;) Same sort of idea, though, hence the repetition! I could easily write on it for hours on end, and have.

4. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I've had an iPhone for two months, and love it, but I can't say the keyboard is good for entering large amounts of text. You have to keep the eyes fixated on the screen to make sure you don't press the wrong key.

Then again, if you want to take notes for an hour at a time, you might want to get a foldable wireless keyboard anyway.

As far as netbooks go, the Compaq models have a very comfortable keyboard.

5. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

I have an iPhone. I can't say how it works compared to other phones and devices, but the typing is easy enough for me. I started working on something recently and I wrote the opening paragraphs on the iPhone's "Notes" application.

6. Garfiun

Garfiun New Member

Iphones are ok for taking notes, my girlfriend has got a vivaz and the buttons on the screen are tiny.

7. lovely

lovely New Member

I have an iPod Touch that I use, and the keyboard is really easy to use, especially if you turn it sideways. It's just like the Fold-out QWERTY keyboards on cellphones. There are also several great apps for note taking, and some that even sync with your computer. I really like to use mine for writing notes. I would highly recommend it or the iPhone.

8. Taylor3

Taylor3 New Member

"Then again, if you want to take notes for an hour at a time, you might want to get a foldable wireless keyboard anyway."

but i'm talking about writing while standing, walking around etc. so a laptop type thing wouldn't work. actually, now that I think about it, i don't know what a foldable wireless keyboard is.

"I just got an Asus EEE 701 for $50 on EBay,"

so does that have a real keyboard or a touchscreen?

9. Aconite

Aconite New Member

The Asus has a real keyboard, but the keys are 3/4 size. If you have tiny hands (as do I--my full fingers are the size of a typical ten year old's, and I'm not exaggerating), it's not a problem. If you're a guy, or you're a woman with man-hands (thanks, Seinfeld!), you might find it a bit hard to navigate. Then again, I have never routinely texted, so my definition of 'real keyboard' is full-size computer. Someone with cellphone keypad texting experience wouldn't have a problem.