1. Samomo

Samomo New Member

Taking Postcounts off Intro threads

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Samomo, Dec 31, 2009.

I know as a newbie I probably do not have much saying power in issues, but it's a common issue I notice in many introduction threads.

People are there to whore out posts and many do not contribute to knowing the user better and instead, give the one worded answer or the occasional long sentence. And why should you get a post count for delivering litterally nothing to the site other than a welcome? If the welcome is genuine and fueled out of friendliness, than taking the post count off does not harm anyone but reduce the litter-welcomes of the intro forum.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcomes are not fodder for inflating post counts. The Word Games, used to be, which is why they don't add to post counts.

Most welcomes on this site are meant to be friendly or helpful to newcomers. Even one word replies are generally meant to be friendly.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

And do post counts really matter?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Only when people start competing for high counts. Then they become a problem.

5. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I know that there are a few people who regularly welcome newbies to WF, but I think it's just their friendly disposition at work rather than whoring out posts. I get your frustration, though, as I've seen the latter happen at other sites. Never really understood why some people feel the need to accumulate post counts.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah.

I don't get it.

There are no prizes.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

right you are, wrey!...

in fact, i personally view abnormally high post counts [along with habitually posting long responses] as a sign that the writers of same probably spend more time writing here, than they do on their own works... which i find just as acceptable as those who do the reverse...

my own count, while fairly 'up there' averages out to only about 7-10 posts per day, which are kept as short as i can manage and still deal with the subject at hand, while some others' posts usually go on at great length...

which is the great thing about this site, imo... everyone can feel they have a place here, whether 'serious' writers or 'for fun' ones, beginners or more seasoned, here for a brief visit or members of long-standing, they are all made welcome in one way or another, eventually...

love, hugs and best wishes to all for the year/decade to come, maia

8. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Lol, I understand. I don't post there to increase my post count; though, I post there to try and say "welcome" to everyone - which, at times, can be a hard and demanding task!

Not a bad sugguestion though :).

9. NyeLew

NyeLew New Member

Postcount counts posts. It shouldn't be off anywhere, imo.

10. rory

rory Active Member

I understand where Samomo is coming from. A lot of users feel that a high post count or ancient join date will make their responses wiser, or that others will respect them more. It's like that on tons of other sites that openly display such statistics. Fortunately for us on WF, I think it's more about what's written in the post that counts as opposed to what's recorded in the side bar. :)

11. Nackl of Gilmed

Nackl of Gilmed New Member

The postcount should only indicate how often you are on the site, but it does appear to be a status symbol, and it does happen that people really connect their entire ego to one forum, and try anything to increase their status on the forum. As others have said, I've seen it happen on other forums. It's weird, but different strokes for different folks, or whatever that saying is.