1. nippy818

nippy818 Active Member

Taming the muse

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by nippy818, Sep 13, 2015.

How does everyone tame their muse? Sometimes I get a bagillion ideas all at once and need to take control. Personally I take a shower, go kayaking or hiking, sometimes biking to get everything ordered and submitted. I carry a notebook at all times to try and organize my thoughts. Today for the first time in years I went to the range and did some much needed target shooting and found it did wonders on my organization. Between magazines I would organize my thoughts and do a little writing. I ended the the day watching the sunset over the Pawnee Grasslands and wrote an entire scene based on today's experiences. How does everyone else organize their thoughts and control their muse?

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm more structural and orderly. The second I get the thought, I write it down on a MS word document and save it. If it's a story idea, I put it in the Story Idea document and prepare the manuscript/word count for the day I ever wanted to actually write it. If it's quotes, I put it in the 'Quotes' document with a brief description of the context of the quote/scene.

If anything else, they'll have a home and not be cluttering my head.

Imaginarily and nippy818 like this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Not a problem for me; I don't have one. :p

nippy818 likes this.
  4. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

I don't. My muse controls me completely. I'm thinking about having a contract put out on it though!

Cheers, Greg.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Physical activity is often a very good way to get things sorted. I'm partial to long walks, myself. Involvment in another creative activity unrelated to writing can also be an excellent tonic.

nippy818 likes this.
  6. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I have a job that pulls me away from the computer. I think writing is an addiction. I yesterday intended to just write the next few hundred words, but like an alcoholic who stops in at the bar to get "one for the road," the hours slipped away. Before I knew it, I was drunk (literally; write drunk, edit sober) but 6000 words had materialized. If I didn't have a "real" job I'd likely never were pants or leave the computer screen unattended. Come to think of it, I wonder if the liquor store delivers?

7. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

If I am particularly stressed they will comfort me, but they do not really stop when they get a moment. Telling them to stop because I am busy works for a bit only if I am actually busy, but they get huffy about it.

8. nippy818

nippy818 Active Member

there is a booze delivery service in my town lol