1. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

Tara's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Tara, Oct 12, 2014.

I'm currently working on the first draft of a not yet named story. I've finished the outlines of the story and written down everything I need to know about my main characters. The official start of this project was somewhere in April this year, the deadline of my first draft is on the 4th of November.

I started writing down ideas for my project around December 2013, and I started writing the story about 3 months ago. Since then I've rewritten the first chapter at least 5 times and I started on a new version of the chapter because what I had previously written did not go well with the rest of the story.

I will need to write about 1 chapter each day if I still want to finish before the deadline, which is the reason I decided to start a progress journal. Hopefully the fact that people may or may not be tracking my progress will keep me motivated. Wish me luck (cause I'm going to need it).

Current progress:

Chapter 1 - 2435 words - finished
    Chapter 2 - 2295 words - finished
    Chapter 3 - 2399 words - finished
    Chapter 4 - 1804 words - finished
    Chapter 5 - finished
    Chapter 6 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 7 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 8 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 9 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 10 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 11 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 12 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 13 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 14 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 15 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 16 - outlines, 0 words
    Chapter 17 and on - I don't have any plans for those chapters yet, the only think I've decided so far is that chapter 16 will not be the last or second-last chapter of this story.

Last updated: 16 October 2014

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    ToDandy likes this.
  2. ToDandy

ToDandy Contributing Member

One chapter a day! That is a commitment! What is your estimated word count of each chapter (and the project as a whole)?

3. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

I think there will be some variation in chapter length, but it will probably be somewhere between 2000 and 3500 words for a chapter and I'm hoping for 60000 to 65000 words for the whole project.

4. mom42terrificgirls

mom42terrificgirls Member

Tara, I like the way you've thought this through. Good luck to you and I will watch your progress!

5. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

I've finished two chapters so far and it's still going well. If I can keep working like this I will have finished my first draft in a little more than two weeks. I don't think the interaction between the characters is what it should be yet, nor are the details or the story in general, but I'm getting stuff down on paper which means I'm more productive than I've been for the past 3 months.

Even though everything is far from perfect I have to say I like where the characters are going; they seem more realistic now I don't have the time to overthink every single thing they do.

Update: a friend I haven't seen in a while will come over sometime this week and I don't think I'll have the time to work on my book while she is here. Since she will be staying for about two days I may need to write a chapter and a half (of just a little less than that) for a couple of days to make sure I'm ahead. That way I won't need to get stressed about all the work I didn't get done once she is here.

6. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

Three chapters finished. So far I've written a total of 7129 words in 3 days and I've got to say I've been way more productive that I thought I could be. The last chapter took me about 2,5 hours to write, which is about 2/3 of the time it took me to write chapter 2.

I'm aiming to have a total of 15000 to 20000 words by the end of the week and twice as many words a week and a half from now. I'm on track so far and I hope I'll stay on track for the next 3 weeks.

7. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

Time to start working on chapter 4 even though I really don't feel like writing right now.

8. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

I didn't manage to write a new chapter today. I only wrote half a chapter yesterday, and I finally finished the same chapter today. This was a hard chapter to write, because I didn't know how to properly describe the situation, but I think I managed to make something of it.

Now I've finished the hard and boring chapters of the story I don't think I'll have a hard time writing the other chpaters. I'll probably be able to finish chapter 5 and 6 tomorrow and then I will be back on track.

9. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

Five down, another 11 to 15 to go. I started falling behind due to schoolwork, but I'll try to keep on track as much as I can. There isn't much I can do about the lack of time anymore (besides a better planning, but that's something to keep in mind for the next project.