1. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Tasks to Prove Worth

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Gammer, Jul 5, 2011.

In my WIP the MC accidentally gets a special scroll that gives him amazing abilities. (It was really meant for his mentor). The gods who made the scroll aren't happy and the MC must prove he is worthy of these powers by completing seven tasks by the end of summer and presenting the Gods with tokens from each task.

The task are suppose to test the MC's strength, cunning, will, speed, control, discipline and heart.

Trouble is, I'm having a little trouble coming up with what kinds of tests he can do. I've already come up with two: the MC must catch a mischievous speedster and another is, he has to steal a holy fruit from sages that tend a sacred tree.

I just need a few ideas to get my creative juices flowing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

You'll want to make sure that whatever the tasks are, they tie in to the rest of your story elements.

With that aside...

-- Being cast away in a cave/island to survive with just his own skill, alone
    -- Being sent to some part of the woods with dangerous animals, and having to fight them off or avoid getting eaten (think "300")
    -- Having to climb some difficult mountain, particularly if it involves scaling cliffs
    -- Anything involving dangerous rivers ('cause that's just frickin awesome)
    -- Having to uncover some kind of mystery in a hidden tomb, tunnel etc

3. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Have a look at The Twelve Tasks of Asterix :D

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Maybe your MC could save himself a lot of trouble by just turning the scroll over to his mentor.

Just sayin'. ;)

Seriously, though, does your MC have any reason to keep the scroll, other than he likes having powers? Because it looks like whoever has those powers has difficult tasks ahead and a LOT of responsibility. I once wrote a short story about a teen who gains superpowers and doesn't let anyone know it and never uses them, because he finds he can't take the pressure of being a superhero. It's awfully stressful being the one who has to save the world all the time. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'd look for inspiration in the myths of Hercules and Thor and other heroes from various mythological traditions. And don't worry about trying to be original - comic books have been publishing stories about this kind of thing for decades and decades and it's hard to come up with something they haven't already used.

5. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

He would if his mentor wouldn't immediately give it back to him. :) Part of the problem is that the mentor was the main hero of the world many years ago and just wants to retire to some isolated piece of land for the rest of his days. So he isn't too happy when the Gods come calling asking him to save the world again. Which is why he's training the MC and letting him go through the ordeal. The old man is as Danny Glover would say is "getting too old for this s*&%.

The MC keeps it because well....he's a fifteen year old boy and finding out that not only are the legends and tales he grew up on are real, he's actually going to be a part of it, that aspect sounds freakin awesome to him. (He finds out later just how much responsibility is involved.) But initially he can't wait to get started.

6. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Heh, I was thinking of Hercules's tasks. ;)

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

A quick comment: Why do his strength and speed matter? If he's getting all these big magical powers, it seems to me that simple ordinary physical abilities would be beside the point, and all of the tests should be about mental or emotional capabilities.

8. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

The Seven Sins/Virtues, perhaps.
    Lust - Obtain the token from the sirens and resist temptations
    Gluttony - Involve the choice between power or the token.
    Greed - Involve the choice between wealth and fame or the token
    Sloth - Obtain the holy fruit, perhaps the sages are reknowned for keeping an ever-watchful eye on said fruit.
    Wrath - Catch the speedster imp, whom is quite irritating, rude, vile, etc. and ask him for the token.
    Envy - Help an old man whose assets are many and ripe for the picking, the payment for helping him is the token.
    Pride - ...not sure, your turn.