1. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

Organizational Tips?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sidewinder, Jun 30, 2011.

Hey -- I have a confession to make. I'm a massively disorganized person. I mean -- my day to day affairs are relatively organized, and I have an excellent memory, so I don't need to keep a day planner or anything. But I have an ENORMOUS problem with organization of physical things like files, books, even my keys, bags and small furnishings. I've tried to figure this out, but I always run into problems -- especially with the papers. I've got billions and billions of papers in boxes without any semblance of organization. Once every few months or so I go through a few boxes and throw a few things out, but a lot of it is actually important, and I don't really have any idea of how to go about getting this stuff ACTUALLY organized. I suck at it. I can never find something when I need it, and I'm pretty sure some of my most brilliant writing has been swallowed by the abyss.

I'm fine with organizing ideas and words, but in terms of physical organization, I really need some kind of system or strategy to sort this out. I don't even mind making a few minor investments to help get on top of this. If anyone has any ideas, or has heard of any good resources on this subject, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

There's this guy named Peter Walsh who is an organizational expert. You could check out some of his books, they might be helpful.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sidewinder

Thanks. Checked his site out -- looks like some good design stuff, and maybe I'll have a glance at some of his books. But really my biggest trouble is with papers, and he doesn't seem to have anything about filing papers and things like that. I don't have very good intuition in this area, and can't seem to find good advice anywhere.

4. hiddennovelist

He should have stuff about that in his books. He actually came out with a huge line of filing system stuff for OfficeMax, so I'd be very surprised if he doesn't deal with that stuff, since it has always seemed like such a big focus of his.

5. Sidewinder

Cool. I'll have a look. Couldn't find anything on his site, but I'm sure your right. Are his books available in stores? I'm a "sit-and-peruse" book shopper.

6. hiddennovelist

I know for sure they carry his books at Barnes and Noble. Also, if you're having trouble finding them in a bookstore, they carry a few of his books at OfficeMax. I hope he has something to help you--he's like my organizational guru.

7. Sidewinder

Well up here in the far north it will be hard to find an OfficeMax or a Barnes and Nobles but it looks like Chapters carries his stuff. I'll stop by and have a look this weekend. Thanks again.

Anyone else got any ideas? Lots and lots and lots and lots of papers. No semblance of order to them whatsoever. I'm thinking it will take a bare minimum of 20 hours work to get on top of all this stuff. I want to start off on the right foot.

8. art

art Contributor Contributor

My physical stuff is always disorganised. A trait that runs pretty deep, I suspect. It would take an enormous effort to overcome it, especially as a part of me rather warms to it: excessive order is associated with anal, soulless sorts etc. Anyway, things I've learnt (or not learnt):

-spending some money on natty shelving units/ folders etc does lend happy impetus to the initial effort to get on top of it

-an ingenious system is useless if not used. Multiple, tiny exertions of the will are required...a resolve to put in its proper place the object/paper the second it is no longer needed.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sidewinder

Thanks, art. It runs very deep, indeed. I think I will have to invest some money in some kind of filing system. I'm going to take some time and shop around.

Mostly I'm trying to figure out how to get off on the right foot. This is something I've tried and failed at again and again. And it's mostly about the papers.

10. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

There's always IKEA *bows down*

11. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'm an extremely unorganized person (although I meet deadlines on time), and my dad, who is highly organized, keeps recommending this book called "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." So I bet there's something useful to be found in there. :)

12. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

My 2 favorite websites for tips on being productive and organized are zenhabits.net and lifehack.org.

Here's an article about filing: zenhabits.net/how-to-simplify-your-filing-system-or-why-stacking-just-doesnt-work/