1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Charisma, Mar 8, 2008.

I would like to know what an animal, on which taxidermy is performed, can be called. Apparently, it's not taxidermied, taxidermed, or taxidermified, or something even close to it. Thanks in advance.

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

From what I've found, it's a "taxidermic" animal.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is a good use for Wikipedia. Although Wikipedia can be less than reliable about authoritative details, you can usually count on the terminology and basic definitions.

This Wiki page on Taxidermy refers to the animal being stuffed as the trophy.

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Thank you both. I would've referred to wikipedia, but some people advise me not to trust it, but thanks anyhow Cogito.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Wikipedia can be a starting point at least. The better articles point references to more authoritative sources. And you can always seek other references on your own.

Too much reliance on ANY single source is generally not the best possible choice, although some sources are widely endorsed and reluiable as long as you don't stray beyond the limits of their expertise. For example, I often go to the same dictionaries first for definitions and spellings in conventional language, but I would not refer to one of them first if I were looking for an accurate definition of a scientific term.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'trophy' is the common term for stuffed animals that are hunters' so-called 'prizes'... but not all animals that are stuffed are trophies... one famous example is roy rogers' horse, Trigger, who resides in the rr museum alongside Buttermilk [dale's mount] and Bullet [their dog]...

but 'taxidermic' doesn't really work, imo, as it's an adjective and any animal [including us] can be taxidermied... the 'victim' [my term, as i'm agin' killing] would be referred to as just whatever the animal is called, or possibly the 'skin' or 'pelt' since that's what is being stuffed and the word 'taxidermy' is greek for 'what is arranged in the skin'...

if you want more technical jargon, just google for taxidermists' sites and see what the folks who actually do it call things...

love and hugs, maia