Teach Me How to Edit!

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by zoupskim, Jul 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I think italics are a great way to convey character thoughts. The only problem I see is when authors go overboard. I don't want to see massive amounts of italics or internal dialogue for that matter. Obviously, that's just a preference, but it's easy to go overboard.

As for the OP: As others have mentioned, it's a stylistic choice. You do which ever fits the tone of your novel.

As @Dr. Mambo has mentioned, italics are a good way to go about showing us it's the characters thought. Or you can use the tag "He thought." It's really just a matter of finding a balance.

Play around a bit with it. Read it out loud both ways and see what you like.

zoupskim likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

They really did. I was totally impressed. Some of what the voice read out was in Scottish dialect (the real stuff, not the hoots mon variety) and it managed that pretty well.

zoupskim likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, good, I'm not alone. I nearly always edit from a print version. At least the first couple of times. That's how I prefer to read, I guess. I also read on Kindle, but find editing on Kindle (which you can actually do) is a real pain because the keyboard is so awkward to use.

zoupskim likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I always edit (as opposed to revise) on a print version. (Revision = rewriting and addition of new material. I do tons of that.)

jannert likes this.
  5. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

I am currently in the process of editing, so these thread will be helpful. :)