1. whoopee!

whoopee! New Member

teaching kids history in an entertaining way

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by whoopee!, Nov 29, 2015.

I'm thinking of a series of stories for age 8-12 where a group of modern-day kids are able to be an actual part of historical events of random dates - either in 'reality' or via technology, not sure. There is time travel, quantum leaps and such, and I know I may have to go with that sort of thing, though i hate how old and tired that is, But what else? Anyhow, it needs to be plausible, imaginable - FRESH, not the same tired time-travel gimmick that goes as far back as the old Bullwinkle show! Problem is, I don't know myself how to do it in a new way. I do want to put my kids in their own town, I don't mean it's a town devoid of adults, I just mean a normal but fictional town. I don't know if I can use that as a means to give them access to the past? Could there be something special about their town? I don't know.

I guess I should state the obvious: the focus of the story is the history lesson, I suppose the travel should be entertaining of course,, and I want it real and believable, but I don't really want to focus on the technical stuff unless necessary. I mean, I'd like to keep the time-travel machine in the background haha.

Any ideas appreciated

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. whoopee!

whoopee! New Member

Omg what a lame forum. Thousands members and maybe 3 are actually posting. Where are the administrators? You'd think they would be answering posts if no one else will. I know when i ran a forum i made sure no one was ever just ignored. I understand not every one will have an answer for me but someone should. DyyIf i could delete my 2 posts i would. If an administrator does happen upon this would you be so mind as to delete my posts. I don't want to play here anymore.

3. Madman

Madman Active Member

Here, things might not happen instantaneously, but when they do eventually happen, they do so with grace, joy, and the crackle of our slow moving Ent-like wooden bones.

To respond to your topic, if you by some chance will read this:

The best part of creating a story is to forge its foundation from your own conscience and imagination. To ask others to create that foundation for you, serves only to let yourself down. I do not believe you when you say that you do not know how to do it yourself. If I may be so bold as to suggest that the statement you were actually trying to make was that you don't want to go through all the effort of creating a new idea. Because it does take time, a lot of time, and several oil paintings worth of inspiration.

Try reading odd works. Speak to a scientist? Watch an entire movie upside down in the sofa. Regardless of my bizarre suggestions, if you are truly serious about a project or work, you will eventually lay out the foundation for it. It all takes time.

May you foster many a crazy ideas.

Kind regards,
    Madman

4. tasjess

tasjess Active Member

The Children of the Green Knowe series has kids travelling through time in a certain place and explores history well without ever explaining HOW. It's also the premise of The Magic Treehouse books and many TV shows directed at kids. It's often explained as a magic book, medallion or other item or an old scientist who invents a time machine. It's a pretty standard device for exploring history with kids. If the surrounding prose is good enough, to suspend disbelief you an get away with a lot.

Also, tantrums won't win friends ;)