1. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

teaser in a query? what?!

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by afinemess, Feb 5, 2010.

I am so confused. I read that a query letter needs to detail the entire novel in one page. (3 paragraphs) I did this, for the 500th time.( I keep thinking I've got a good one, and then I second guess myself.) However, all of the sample queries for romance novels that I have found online leave thier synopsis with a teaser. I was under the impression that you were NOT to do that. I literally gave a brief run through of the novel, with a really good hook at the begnining. After reading some of the samples, I feel like I either did something wrong, or that I may not leave them as intrigued. These letters sound like jacket covers to me, and I swear I read they weren't supposed to. Which is correct? Do I leave nothing to the imagination in regards to plot? Or do you leave them with a teaser? I have always thought you did not leave out anything. But perhaps I'm wrong. I'm trying to this a best I can before even thinking about mailing anything out. (if ever)

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

That's odd, because all the formats I have ever studied from reputable sources, say the synopsis and query letter must include the outcome of the story.

3. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Thats what I thought. I'm leaving it the way I have it. This was a site that showed lots of queries that were 'successful' from romance novels. I'm not buying it. I don't think we're allowed to link or I'd point you to it to see them. Thank you for the reassurance. Everything I read on queries said agents are annoyed by teasers. Haha

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Unless the publisher's submission guidelines specifically state otherwise, the synopsis in the query letter should be a full synopsis, not a teaser.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

amen to that!

as an editor/agent, i would need to know how the story/book ends, in order to determine if it'll be marketable enough to justify asking to see the ms, or sample chapters...

most agents/editors don't have time to waste on being teased... they don't want to read the darn thing for entertainment, just want to figure out if they can make money on it... and to do that, they need to know what happens...

6. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Thank you all. I got some good feedback yesterday, most found my current letter to be well written and it covered all the major plot points. I did have one friend who decided to look into query letters thanks to google, and she informed me that I gave her a synopsis. She thinks it needs to sound like the back of a book, which I thought was ironic given my question yesterday. haha! I take it as a good sign that I did a good job, since she said I was too detailed. She said "Don't tell them this or that, let them want to know more." So, I assume she found the same website I stumbled across. I think this may be a good draft, and now I am going to work on perfecting my grammar, and then see if I can work up the courage to mail it out. My friend gave me wonderful advice about my demographic and what market my novel would do really well in, but I don't think that's something you put in your letter. That's the agent and publishers job, right? My letter is simple. I have a hook, and then about a full page of synopsis. Since I have no writing credits other than a couple of published poems, I left that out and dedicated that paragraph to the novel. I figure a nice closing and a signature will be all that needs to be added. I'm applying the KISS philosophy, keep it simple stupid. haha
    Thanks for your help, you all have given me priceless information over the time I've been writing. Sorry, I've rambled, I've had too much coffee this morning.;)

7. DragonGrim

DragonGrim Contributing Member

I hope you listened to the others’ advice. I went to many resources to find out how to write a query, and every single one said to write a synopsis that included the ending.

8. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I did. And like I said, everything I had found until yesterday said to do that too. It was that one site with all of the 'successful romance query letters' that threw me off. I think maybe they are trying to sabatoge the competition. Haha just kidding. I will say, writing this letter is the biggest writing challenge of my life. I just wrote the synopsis a hundred of times until I found a way to condense it. It was the only method that worked for me.