1. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

Techniques of Avoiding Procrastination/Distractions

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Chiv, Aug 20, 2014.

Procrastination and distraction. The silent killers. The boys of the hood. Every year more than 15 people die from procrastination and distraction every year. That's more than deaths by shark attacks (10) and even more than vending machines (14)! Okay, so I made that up. Completely. But still, it's a phantom killer (of time) that plagues us writers constantly (or maybe it's just me?). From Youtube videos to Facebook newsfeeds, the internet has made procrastinating so much easier!
    So does anybody have techniques to combat these vicious time wasters? Because I have absolutely none and am sick of getting distracted while writing.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Turn off the wireless on your laptop, or go somewhere where your laptop can't connect to the internet at all. If that doesn't work, use a typewriter or a pen and a pad.

peachalulu and sunsplash like this.
  3. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    Yup, just as @thirdwind said, I disconnect my wifi and will put my phone on the charger in another room. I like some background noise once in a while but music is too distracting for me so during those time I'll put on quietly something I dislike on tv.

4. Maiesk

Maiesk Member

I go here:
    [​IMG]

It's over the back of a hill with no distracting internet, or even people. It's a mighty trek to get there (especially with the laptop and camping chair) but it's so worth it once I do.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Turn off the t.v. the internet and make a space that strictly a writing space. I've just started sitting at my desk to write and it helps because it's the only time I sit there. So when I'm sitting there I know it's time to write.

The reason I haven't been sitting at the desk is because I'm a person who likes to sit cross legged - it's really hard to find a comfortable chair.

Also, make your writing time specific. That way if you like to play video games or watch t.v. you're not just killing time - there's a time limit. And after a while you'll start pulling away from the distractions to get in more writing time.

6. luisma1972

luisma1972 New Member

I'm just enrolled in a course about "learning how to learn" on an online platform. One of the subjects the instructor aboard is procrastination. There is a tool she suggests, the "Pomodoro technique". It consists in setting up a timer for a relative short period of time, 25 minutes is suggested. You should then turn off all distractions you might control, such as cell phones, TV, wi fi (as previously stated in this thread) and just focus on your work. Once the timer ends give yourself a little reward such as checking facebook or whatever you want to do and then start over.

I've haven't tried it yet, but sounds like a good alternative to me.

Aaron DC likes this.
  7. Theogenes

Theogenes Member

I think I will try this myself tonight. Good post.

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

I've just acquired a laptop that doesn't / won't connect to the internet. I plan to put my WiP on a memory stick and work on it when I go to bed. I'm confident that without the tv and / or internet, I will get three times as much done.
    :eek: This would be the biggest distraction of all for me. If there's something on the tv I dislike, I tend to do a lot of shouting and swearing at it.

9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Nothing helps me to not get distracted. :[ I have to go through it by sheer force of will.

OurJud likes this.
  10. Theogenes

Theogenes Member

Out of curiosity, what is WiP?

11. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

Work in Progress :)